Re: [owcp] Hello ...

  • Pat O'Brien
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 10:46 PM
      you didn't say what you claim was about or how long it took. mine took two years and got nowhere so i gave it up after two years of pain in a tooth, i paid $230 to have it pulled. wished i had of done it sooner. good luck and i will sign anything.
      pat

      Kevin <rpcv@...> wrote:
      Hello ...

      Is anyone there? ...

      Does anyone have anything about OWCP or ACS to share?

      My case is going nowhere.  The Boston Area Office will not respond
      to communications from me or my Congressman.  My congressional
      caseworker told me yesterday that she is "stumped" and has no idea
      what to do next.  After speaking with her, I called both of my
      Senators and OWCP in Washington, D.C. in an attempt to stir the pot,
      so to speak.  I'm not sure if anything will come from my afternoon
      of phone calls, but I thought it was worth a try.

      Also, would any of you be willing to sign a petition asking that
      OWCP not renew its contract with ACS when the current contract
      expires?  ACS has become OWCP's scapegoat, which puts claimants in a
      catch 22.  I think it's time for ACS to go!

      Kevin

      Discover Yahoo!

      Message 2 of 9 , May 11 5:39 PM
        Hi Pat,

        My claim is for asthma, a chronic condition which will probably
        require treatment for the rest of my life. I've been fighting OWCP
        for over 20 years now. I usually win my battles, but each one takes
        a lot of time and effort. Right now I'm pursuing four issues with
        OWCP, ranging from reimbursing me for acupuncture treatments to
        changing my address in the agency's records. The current battle has
        been going on for two plus years, and OWCP's tactic du jour is to
        ignore me, my Congressman, etc. Before OWCP went into hiding, its
        argument was "you have to deal with ACS; it's out of our hands." Of
        course, ACS was telling me, "we can't do anything without OWCP
        approval." A classic catch-22, which is one reason why I feel that
        ACS must go.

        I guess you're lucky that your tooth pain was a relatively acute
        problem. That is no way excuses OWCP for not meeting its
        obligations to you. Where is Peace Corps after we COS? I used to
        try to get the PC Medical Office to intervene when OWCP was being
        unreasonable, but PCMO apparently feels no obligation or empathy
        toward RPCVs.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11 5:42 PM
          Hi Nancy, and happy belated birthday.

          I'd love to hear about your successes and how you brought them about.
          I sure hope that your experiences will help others in dealing with the
          OWCP bureaucracy.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 6:00 PM

            I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get my checks sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been able to easily mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that my medical bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly temp income out there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now finally have direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!

            Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can dialog with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does help to have Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my healthcare providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on and on and on and on. 20 years for me, too.

            Nancy
            New York
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12 5:39 AM

              I firmly believe that having a Democratic Senator or Congressperson
              helps. The Democrats have always been more willing to go to bat for
              me, especially when dealing with a Republican administration.
              Unfortunately, my Congressman and both of my Senators are
              Republicans. Maybe I should move across the border to Vermont! The
              caseworkers that I've had recently haven't been very assertive, and
              I often feel that I have to nudge them as much as I've had to nudge
              the Dept. of Labor.

              I've recently enlisted the aid of Senators Sununu and Gregg to
              assist Congressman Bass on my behalf. Hopefully, getting requests
              from three congressional offices will get the attention of OWCP. I
              also spoke with an OWCP "tech person" in Washington, DC about a week
              ago. She seemed empathetic and genuinely nice, so hopefully she can
              navigate the bureaucracy better than outsiders can. We'll see.

              Kevin

              --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
              > Kevin,
              >
              > I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get
              my checks
              > sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been
              able to easily
              > mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that
              my medical
              > bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly
              temp income out
              > there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now
              finally have
              > direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!
              >
              > Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can
              dialog
              > with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does
              help to have
              > Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my
              healthcare
              > providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on
              and on and on and on.
              > 20 years for me, too.
              >
              > Nancy
              > New York
            • Heidi Fassnacht
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12 10:29 AM
                hello kevin, nancy, pat (!!), and anyone else who
                might be out there,

                i'm sorry to hear about your continued difficulties
                kevin. i know how exasperating it can be, except your
                situation is compounded by decades of dealing with
                this. sorry too pat that it took so long for you to
                just have to pay things on your own. it's good to
                hear from you! nancy, happy belated birthday and
                congrats on your breakthrough with OWCP.

                i've recently had a breakthrough too, getting my
                medical bills reimbursed for most of 2003. i used to
                get approval of my medical appts through my OWCP case
                worker. in sept 2003 when i called OWCP to check up
                on the status of approval for more care (since they
                never call you) i was told i must go through ACS. ACS
                told me i needed prior authorization. so i went that
                route, getting retro active authorization. (i never
                stop going to my care providers waiting for OWCP or
                ACS to get things sorted out. i can't wait that
                long.) after having to send a 20 page fax multiple
                times, and many phone calls, i finally got
                authorization. it's probably taken me around a year
                to get this paid even though it was authorized. they
                came up with every excuse possible, and when it seemed
                they ran out of those, they tried the 'denied for
                untimely filing' one. if they didn't do something
                about that, i was going to get my congressperson
                involved. luckily i didn't have to do that this time,
                but i have before. all i did was keep calling them
                back, call them on the obvious (this page should have
                been on top, not second from the top), and do what
                they suggested (you need to file for change of
                provider for your authorization).

                kevin, although i agree that OWCP and ACS are like
                scapegoats for each other, i have found that although
                there are many problems with ACS, i have had better
                luck with them than with a number of my OWCP case
                workers. the second to last one never called me back
                and she was almost never in when i called. you can't
                deal with someone when you can never talk with them.
                it was exasperating and demoralizing. although you
                never talk to the same person twice at ACS, and they
                don't usually do what they say they will, and so on, I
                would be a little reluctant to get rid of them all
                together. perhaps something could be worked out where
                the lines of responsibility were clearly defined
                between the two (OWCP and ACS), among other things.
                anyway, we could get together some time and talk about
                this more if you like. but i'd best get back to work.

                hang in there!

                heidi

                "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

                Yahoo! Mail
                Message 7 of 9 , May 13 5:51 AM
                  Heidi,

                  Thanks for your note.

                  It's interesting that your dealings with ACS have been very
                  different than mine. From my perspective, it seems that ACS does
                  nothing except enter data, push paper, etc. for OWCP. ACS acts only
                  when OWCP instructs it to do so. ACS has a "Prior Authorizations
                  Department" but I don't believe it does any authorizing at all. It
                  assigns an authorization number, enters CPT codes, determines dates
                  of services, and then waits for OWCP to give the go ahead. Despite
                  the fact that I have an authorization number and the dates of
                  service have been determined to be 11/3/04 to 11/3/05, I cannot
                  proceed with treatment because OWCP has not authorized the
                  authorization. OWCP says ACS is in charge of authorizations, and
                  ACS says " ... authorization cannot be approved at this time
                  [because]OWCP has determined that further medical development is
                  needed ..." Catch 22!

                  Congresspersons and Senators won't deal with ACS because it is a
                  contractor and not a federal agency. As long as ACS only has to
                  answer to OWCP, it has no incentive to be responsive to claimants.
                  I suspect ACS is a willing scapegoat because OWCP is writing the
                  checks. I think ACS has to go because it has become a de facto
                  federal bureaucracy that operates without proper oversight.

                  Kevin

                  P.S. Nancy: Do you know when the contract between OWCP and ACS
                  expires?