Re: [owcp] Hello ...

    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 10:41 AM

      Yes was thinking of you. Today is my birthday and my gift to myself is NOT to work on OWCP but have had recent successes and will get back to you next week.
      Nancy
    • Pat O'Brien
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 10:46 PM
        you didn't say what you claim was about or how long it took. mine took two years and got nowhere so i gave it up after two years of pain in a tooth, i paid $230 to have it pulled. wished i had of done it sooner. good luck and i will sign anything.
        pat

        Kevin <rpcv@...> wrote:
        Hello ...

        Is anyone there? ...

        Does anyone have anything about OWCP or ACS to share?

        My case is going nowhere.  The Boston Area Office will not respond
        to communications from me or my Congressman.  My congressional
        caseworker told me yesterday that she is "stumped" and has no idea
        what to do next.  After speaking with her, I called both of my
        Senators and OWCP in Washington, D.C. in an attempt to stir the pot,
        so to speak.  I'm not sure if anything will come from my afternoon
        of phone calls, but I thought it was worth a try.

        Also, would any of you be willing to sign a petition asking that
        OWCP not renew its contract with ACS when the current contract
        expires?  ACS has become OWCP's scapegoat, which puts claimants in a
        catch 22.  I think it's time for ACS to go!

        Kevin

        Discover Yahoo!

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11 5:39 PM
          Hi Pat,

          My claim is for asthma, a chronic condition which will probably
          require treatment for the rest of my life. I've been fighting OWCP
          for over 20 years now. I usually win my battles, but each one takes
          a lot of time and effort. Right now I'm pursuing four issues with
          OWCP, ranging from reimbursing me for acupuncture treatments to
          changing my address in the agency's records. The current battle has
          been going on for two plus years, and OWCP's tactic du jour is to
          ignore me, my Congressman, etc. Before OWCP went into hiding, its
          argument was "you have to deal with ACS; it's out of our hands." Of
          course, ACS was telling me, "we can't do anything without OWCP
          approval." A classic catch-22, which is one reason why I feel that
          ACS must go.

          I guess you're lucky that your tooth pain was a relatively acute
          problem. That is no way excuses OWCP for not meeting its
          obligations to you. Where is Peace Corps after we COS? I used to
          try to get the PC Medical Office to intervene when OWCP was being
          unreasonable, but PCMO apparently feels no obligation or empathy
          toward RPCVs.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 5:42 PM
            Hi Nancy, and happy belated birthday.

            I'd love to hear about your successes and how you brought them about.
            I sure hope that your experiences will help others in dealing with the
            OWCP bureaucracy.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 9 , May 11 6:00 PM

              I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get my checks sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been able to easily mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that my medical bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly temp income out there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now finally have direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!

              Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can dialog with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does help to have Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my healthcare providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on and on and on and on. 20 years for me, too.

              Nancy
              New York
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12 5:39 AM

                I firmly believe that having a Democratic Senator or Congressperson
                helps. The Democrats have always been more willing to go to bat for
                me, especially when dealing with a Republican administration.
                Unfortunately, my Congressman and both of my Senators are
                Republicans. Maybe I should move across the border to Vermont! The
                caseworkers that I've had recently haven't been very assertive, and
                I often feel that I have to nudge them as much as I've had to nudge
                the Dept. of Labor.

                I've recently enlisted the aid of Senators Sununu and Gregg to
                assist Congressman Bass on my behalf. Hopefully, getting requests
                from three congressional offices will get the attention of OWCP. I
                also spoke with an OWCP "tech person" in Washington, DC about a week
                ago. She seemed empathetic and genuinely nice, so hopefully she can
                navigate the bureaucracy better than outsiders can. We'll see.

                Kevin

                --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, FourDirect@a... wrote:
                > Kevin,
                >
                > I just had a huge success. For 4 years+ I have been trying to get
                my checks
                > sent to my NY address having moved here from AZ. They have been
                able to easily
                > mail me (at my NY address) all the notifications telling me that
                my medical
                > bills are denied and yet have continued to send my OWCP monthly
                temp income out
                > there! With the help of Senator Schumer (NY US Senate-Dem) I now
                finally have
                > direct deposit. Took congressional intervention on that one!!!
                >
                > Actually, I have ACS working for me now (famous last words). I can
                dialog
                > with you directly regarding my tactics if you'd like. And it does
                help to have
                > Sen. Schumer behind me. Also, I do most of the billing for my
                healthcare
                > providers and have the proper codes now, etc... It just goes on
                and on and on and on.
                > 20 years for me, too.
                >
                > Nancy
                > New York
              • Heidi Fassnacht
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12 10:29 AM
                  hello kevin, nancy, pat (!!), and anyone else who
                  might be out there,

                  i'm sorry to hear about your continued difficulties
                  kevin. i know how exasperating it can be, except your
                  situation is compounded by decades of dealing with
                  this. sorry too pat that it took so long for you to
                  just have to pay things on your own. it's good to
                  hear from you! nancy, happy belated birthday and
                  congrats on your breakthrough with OWCP.

                  i've recently had a breakthrough too, getting my
                  medical bills reimbursed for most of 2003. i used to
                  get approval of my medical appts through my OWCP case
                  worker. in sept 2003 when i called OWCP to check up
                  on the status of approval for more care (since they
                  never call you) i was told i must go through ACS. ACS
                  told me i needed prior authorization. so i went that
                  route, getting retro active authorization. (i never
                  stop going to my care providers waiting for OWCP or
                  ACS to get things sorted out. i can't wait that
                  long.) after having to send a 20 page fax multiple
                  times, and many phone calls, i finally got
                  authorization. it's probably taken me around a year
                  to get this paid even though it was authorized. they
                  came up with every excuse possible, and when it seemed
                  they ran out of those, they tried the 'denied for
                  untimely filing' one. if they didn't do something
                  about that, i was going to get my congressperson
                  involved. luckily i didn't have to do that this time,
                  but i have before. all i did was keep calling them
                  back, call them on the obvious (this page should have
                  been on top, not second from the top), and do what
                  they suggested (you need to file for change of
                  provider for your authorization).

                  kevin, although i agree that OWCP and ACS are like
                  scapegoats for each other, i have found that although
                  there are many problems with ACS, i have had better
                  luck with them than with a number of my OWCP case
                  workers. the second to last one never called me back
                  and she was almost never in when i called. you can't
                  deal with someone when you can never talk with them.
                  it was exasperating and demoralizing. although you
                  never talk to the same person twice at ACS, and they
                  don't usually do what they say they will, and so on, I
                  would be a little reluctant to get rid of them all
                  together. perhaps something could be worked out where
                  the lines of responsibility were clearly defined
                  between the two (OWCP and ACS), among other things.
                  anyway, we could get together some time and talk about
                  this more if you like. but i'd best get back to work.

                  hang in there!

                  heidi

                  "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

                  Yahoo! Mail
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13 5:51 AM
                    Heidi,

                    Thanks for your note.

                    It's interesting that your dealings with ACS have been very
                    different than mine. From my perspective, it seems that ACS does
                    nothing except enter data, push paper, etc. for OWCP. ACS acts only
                    when OWCP instructs it to do so. ACS has a "Prior Authorizations
                    Department" but I don't believe it does any authorizing at all. It
                    assigns an authorization number, enters CPT codes, determines dates
                    of services, and then waits for OWCP to give the go ahead. Despite
                    the fact that I have an authorization number and the dates of
                    service have been determined to be 11/3/04 to 11/3/05, I cannot
                    proceed with treatment because OWCP has not authorized the
                    authorization. OWCP says ACS is in charge of authorizations, and
                    ACS says " ... authorization cannot be approved at this time
                    [because]OWCP has determined that further medical development is
                    needed ..." Catch 22!

                    Congresspersons and Senators won't deal with ACS because it is a
                    contractor and not a federal agency. As long as ACS only has to
                    answer to OWCP, it has no incentive to be responsive to claimants.
                    I suspect ACS is a willing scapegoat because OWCP is writing the
                    checks. I think ACS has to go because it has become a de facto
                    federal bureaucracy that operates without proper oversight.

                    Kevin

                    P.S. Nancy: Do you know when the contract between OWCP and ACS
                    expires?