310RE: [owcp] Re: insurance and retirement

  • krcorwin@pacbell.net
    Sep 20, 2006

      I got to that point (medical end point ) after about ten years when they granted me what’s called a “scheduled award”, which means they have a table in the Civil Code that values each and every disability with a percent of total and you get so many weeks compensation for each percent. In my case it was fairly straight forward because they have a long established standard for the loss of an extremety. This is the way we finally get paid off, but even after that I have qualified for compensation for lost work (at my PC rate) if one of the conditions which was incurred during my PC service caused me to be Temporarily Totally Disabled. My DOI was 10/28/71 and I’ve received treatment every year, prosthetic devices, and compensation for lost work when it became necessary to due further surgery as late as 1999. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I have been fortunate in that the line of treatment has been so well documented that there has never been any question about the cause of the injury. While they have yet to refuse me they have played some irritating games of passive-aggressive and more than one medical vendor has passed on my case because of the time it takes for them to get paid.

      From: owcp@yahoogroups.com [mailto:owcp@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Felicia
      Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:34 PM
      To: owcp@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [owcp] Re: insurance and retirement

      How long did it take before you were considered at a
      medical end point? I have some kind of brain damage,
      which is not treatable, although they could give me
      medication to mitigate the anxiety, etc. I've been this
      way for two years. I was told that eventually they would
      try to settle out of court with some kind of lump sum, if
      it looked like I was never going to get any better.
      Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had gone through
      anything like that. (Oh, and my husband's suggestion was
      to get a lawyer.) -- Felicia

      >> > I got one of these lovely letters as well; figured it
      >> was
      >> > pro forma red tape
      >> > and rat race.
      >> >
      >> > Then, yesterday, a large confusing packet arrived
      >> > including medical
      >> > re-evaluation forms and reporting of all income over
      >> the
      >> > past 15 months. As
      >> > I am considered to be at 'medical end point' (a lovely
      >> > phrase in itself), I
      >> > have no doctors following my case.
      >> >
      >> > This past spring, my compensation was cut by a third,
      >> > because I am released
      >> > for part time work (with fairly limiting restrictions,
      >> > including 15 minute
      >> > breaks for every hour worked). That there are no jobs
      >> in
      >> > my area that fit
      >> > both my restrictions and my qualifications, that I
      >> have
      >> > applied for a number
      >> > of jobs without success, that the pay rate that they
      >> are
      >> > calculating the
      >> > reduction on is not the compensation offered in this
      >> area
      >> > - none of that
      >> > seems to matter. The "job counselor" provided by the
      >> OWCP
      >> > was from another
      >> > state, met with me a total of five times, never
      >> offered
      >> > any sort of job
      >> > training or performed even basic skills assessments.
      >> >
      >> > The whole is immensely disheartening and depressing.
      >> As I
      >> > pointed out in a
      >> > letter to the OWCP, when I left my job for Peace Corps
      >> > service six years ago
      >> > (I served three years in
      w:st="on">Armenia ) I had medical
      >> insurance,
      >> > a pension plan,
      >> > and a higher rate of take home pay than my current
      >> > compensation. Now I have
      >> > no insurance, no pension plan, and I miss the Federal
      >> > Poverty Standard by
      >> > $3,016.
      >> >
      >> > Disability is not my career choice; this is not the
      >> life I
      >> > wanted nor the
      >> > one I would choose.
      >> >
      >> > Meg Wallace, RPCV (