Re: overlib fails in XHTML document

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2007
      Godmar,

      You are serving XHTML, not XML.  You therefore should (but see below) name your test file overlib.xhtml (not overlib.xml) and serve it as application/xhtml+xml (not text/xml).  Your example file will work fine with overlibmws in Firefox if you make those changes.

      I am sending this to the overlibmws support group:

      because we haven't discussed use of overlibmws with SVG under XHTML or HTML for a while, and this issue may be of general interest.

      A test file for using overlibmws with SVG under XHTML, and served as application/xhtml+xml, is:

      It will work with Firefox and Opera, which have native SVG support.  However, if the XHTML file is given a .html extension and served as text/html:

      (but handled properly by appropriate browsers upon receipt due the XHTML DOCTYPE declaration within the file) then it will work with IE and Safari as well if you have the Adobe SVG plug-in.  See:

      for more discussion.

      If you can't get your files with SVG to work properly using the above as a model, then it would help if you post a URL for a test file of your own with SVG so that we can see exactly what you are doing, and hopefully diagnose the problem.

      Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:25 PM
      Subject: overlib fails in XHTML document

      In Firefox 2.0.0.6, in a document that is served as Content-Type text/xml, but rendered as HTML because of a XHTML namespace declaration, <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">, overlibmws fails with this error:

      Error: fd.body has no properties
      Source File: http://people.cs.vt.edu/~gback/overlibmws/overlibmws.js
      Line: 221

      (fd.body is short hand for f.document.body)
      If I write some JavaScript and do alert(document.body), I also get undefined.

      Do you know a way around this?

      I would like to use overlibmws in connection with SVG, and in order to mix HTML and SVG I must serve the document as text/xml and specify the HTML like so. Otherwise, it will either not render the SVG or it will show the HTML raw, without rendering it.

      You can see an example here: http://people.cs.vt.edu/~gback/anim/overlib.xml

       - Godmar