Ajax calls always show old data

  • adam.sheik
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hi, I'm a new user of OverlibMWS, so first of all thank you to the
      developers for maintaining the project.

      I have been playing with the Ajax examples, and have a strange problem.
      I have multiple popups on one page, and the first time one is
      activated, the Ajax call always fails (the caption shows as it is not
      reliant on Ajax, but the server-side text does not load).
      If I then activate a *different* popup, the data from the first one
      shows. This continues, so the popup always shows the data from a
      previous mouseover. ie: it is always "one behind".

      Has anybody encountered something like this before?

      You can see an example of what I mean by going to:
      http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/list.php?3
      ...and hovering over any of the "last post" links.
      It's a little confusing, as the caption (non Ajax) will always be
      correct, but the message that shows is always wrong for me (unless I
      hover over the same link twice, then it is correct :-) )
      I thought it might be a caching problem with my network provider, but
      if I hit my server side script directly it always serves the correct data.
      I also thought it might be a browser caching issue, but I see the same
      behaviour in Firefox and IE7.

      I've hopefully overlooked something obvious, but examining my page
      source shows that the message IDs I am including in the Overlib Ajax
      calls are correct.

      So, any idea why my popups are showing this unfortunate behaviour?

      Many thanks,

      /\dam
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2007
        Adam,

        Yes, you appear to be all set now.  But feel free to post here again if you should encounter any problems implementing the Chinese character help system.

        Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:55 AM
        Subject: [OLmws] Re: Ajax calls always show old data

        Many thanks for your details help and advice!
        I believe I have now implemented  your suggestions here.

        > Actually, because the first popup also is STICKY,
        > an nd call associated with onmouseout won't close
        > it. You need a conditional cClick call.

        I have changed the initial "loading" popup to be non-sticky - in practise users barely see it...

        My main goal when implementing this in my Chinese character help system is to try and keep page HTML to a minimum. So I'm going to be trying to move common strings to javascript variables. I've done this in the above link by using a var for my AJAX service (a relatively long URL).  On a page with hundreds of overLib popups, even saving a few characters per link adds up :-)

        /\dam