Re: [OLmws] Re: iFrame popups with JSP

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 25, 2007
      Erich,

      Thanks for making an ajaxextended distribution available.

      I have it installed and basically working for loading overlib popups via its XMLHTTP object, but that object's abort() function doesn't work.  It is set up in xmlhttp.js via XMLHTTP = function() {...} as:

      this.abort = function() {
        _stop = true
        _transport.abort()
      }
      and the browsers with good javascript error consoles return an error that _transport.abort() is not a function.  Do you know anything about that?  The documentation for this version does indicate that the XMLHTTP object's abort() function is implemented.

      When I try the installation test suite (/php/ajaxextended/php.server/tests/index.php) it reports an error in line 20 of base.php and that line appears to involve an abort, though I haven't yet tried to sort out the server-side php code.  I tried the same test suite on your server, to check whether I had messed up my installation, but yours gives the same error.  Did it pass all of the tests when you installed it on your server and have you changed anything since then?

      I tried to access the SVN repository for ajaxextended to see if any newer modules are available, but that appears to be functionally discontinued as were the URLs I had found via search engines.

      Although it does basically work for loading overlib popups, a working abort() is needed to use all of the overlibmws features effectively.

      Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [OLmws] Re: iFrame popups with JSP

      Foteos,

      You have uploaded the content on my website - I added the content of the Readme, Installation, and FAQ documents.

      The url is http://www.beyrent.net
      =========================

      Foteos Macrides wrote:
      Erich,

      Via search engines, I came up with a number of URLs for the ajaxextened library, but they all return 404 responses, most of them in Russian.  Do you know where I can get the library to review its proxy technique?

      Fote
    • Erich C. Beyrent
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 26, 2007
        Fote,

        You'll need to follow the instructions here:

        http://www.ajaxlessons.com/2006/02/14/cross-domain-ajax-using-prototypejs-and-ajax-extended/

        and see how to incorporate this into your AJAX code. You're not using
        prototype for your library, are you?

        I've made the files available at:

        http://www.beyrent.net/downloads/modded_prototype.js
        http://www.beyrent.net/downloads/xmlhttp.js

        -Erich-

      • Erich C. Beyrent
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2007
          You'll notice that in the xmlhttp.js file I linked to in my last
          response, there is a difference around line 23 from the file that came
          with the distribution:

          this.abort = function() {
          _stop = true
          _destroyScripts() // instead of _transport.abort()
          }

          -Erich-

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2007
            Erich,

            I got abort() working for the XMLHTTP object of ajaxextended by adding:

              this.abort = function() {
                _destroyScripts()
              }
            within XMLHTTP.Transport = function(handler) {...} of xmlhttp.js so that its _destroyScripts function can be accessed externally.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2007
              Erich,

              Interesting..  I'll need to study this further.. I don't want to get into php if I can help it.. so maybe I can duplicate this in Java for my needs..

              Thanks, something I will investigate further..

              John..

              Erich C. Beyrent wrote:
              John,

              I use the ajaxextended library to achieve cross-domain functionality,
              and it works really well.  I have a search widget that I wanted to place
              on multiple domains that searches a database on my main domain, and
              ajaxextended allowed me to do that.

              -Erich-

              John B. Moore wrote:

              Note, that for what you are doing, which appears to involve loading

              a form into the popup dynamically and then handling its submission, it
              might be wise to study the AJAX examples (and then try one the AJAX
              formats, as I originally posted for you).  AJAX is designed for
              optimizing such dynamic modifications of the document via GET or POST
              requests that can use server-side scripting such as php, asp, perl,
              etc., to fetch an HTML fragment (e.g., corresponding to your form)
              instead of complete HTML or XHTML documents, and them handle them as
              client-side javascript instead of as an embedded window (frame).
              Although I've never used JSP, I don't offhand see why AJAX wouldn't
              work optimally with that as well.
              ===========================

              Thanks for the details..

              I think the key for my using the iframe instead of the AJAX version is
              that the contents of the popup will not (never) be coming from the
              same server. Therefore the security restraints as I understand it
              would prohibit that use (posting to and receiving from a server other
              than the source of the html page)  The concept is to "embedd" dynamic
              content in static webpages via a service. This lowers the cost on
              various basic and common functionality that avoids setting up a
              dynamic service for EACH client (each domain) of that function.

              If I'm wrong on this, please enlighten me..<G>

              John..

              OLmws Support Pages:
              http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/
              OLmws Group's Purpose:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              OLmws Support Pages:
              http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/
              OLmws Group's Purpose:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:overlibmws-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:overlibmws-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28, 2007
                Erich and John,

                Although the URL of the SVN repository for ajaxextended indicated in the file set which Erich has made available via:

                appears to be discontinued permanently, as are the widely cited URLs for the ajaxextended distribution, e.g.:

                I have found a URL that still works (though perhaps for not much longer) :

                The file set at the latter URL is newer than Erich's, with a number of enhancements and bug fixes (including for the abort function, basically as I had posted earlier).  If John does undertake the creation of an equivalent "script-tag-based, cross-domain proxy for AJAX" in Java, this newer file set would be a better model.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 28, 2007
                  Foteos,

                  Thanks for that url.. I sucked it into my subversion client..

                  I won't have time right away, but I will review what the code is doing and try building a Java equivalent..

                  This type of thing is definitely where we want to go with a number of tools we have planned..

                  John..

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 29, 2007
                    Fote,

                    If you could tar that up for me, I'll update the source on my server.

                    -Erich-

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 29, 2007
                      Erich,

                      I created a zip archive for you:

                      Note that the:

                      of your recent message is for a v0.9 pre-release of ajaxextended.  The file set in your current ajaxextended.tar.gz at:

                      is labeled as a v1.0 release, but has bugs or just "placeholders" for some intended code.  The file set in the above zip archive with the code set from what I presume is the author's personal SVN repository (the public one has been discontinued) is also designated as v1.0 and has the same documentation, but has the bugs fixed and all of the "placeholders" filled in with the intended code (except for an alternate, python version of the proxy server).  I did one tweak in its xmlhttp.js to get the XMLHTML object's responseXML working properly for Opera v8 and v9.  To the extent I've exercised this code set, it now works properly for both responseText and responseXML via proxied GET requests with reasonably recent versions of all the browsers supported by overlibmws.

                      I've been using the OLgetAJAX function via an ajaxextendedcontentmws.js library (included in the above zip archive), which is a modification of the ajaxcontentmws.js library that is included in the overlibmws.zip distribution, so as to use the proxy instead of the client-side XMLHttpRequest object (for IE7 and the non-IE supported browsers) or ActiveX-based object for IE v5.0, v5.5 and v6.0.  The modification was basically the same as what you did in your:

                      for the prototype library.  The:

                      support document for the ajaxcontentmws.js library also applies to the OLgetAJAX function in the ajaxextendedcontentmws.js library, except that the 'url' argument for the proxy cannot be a partial or relative URL (i.e., it must be a complete URL, beginning with 'http').  The ALTERNATIVE FORMAT section of the support document shows how to structure the popup calls so that you can easily replace the associated OLgetAJAX calls with ones for the prototype or moo.ajax libraries.

                      Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 11:39 AM