Re: [OLmws] Re: Debugger - "event is not defined" error?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2006
      Gary,

      That's a terse (only 16 characters) and virtually universal javascript workaround for differences in how browsers handle events, in this case the handling of the mousemove event via the OLmouseMove function in overlibmws.js.  Some (e.g., Firefox) pass it as an argument, in which case 'e' will be used.  Others (e.g., IE and Opera) treat it as a global with the reserved name 'event' such that it will be known in those browsers, and be used because 'e' correspondingly is null.

      You don't indicate exactly how you are running your site through validation, but as far as that 'error' is concerned, upon understanding the issue you may then simply ignore that 'error' message as an overzealous outburst.  :<)

      Note, for example, that even though Firefox doesn't use 'event' itself, Firefox recognizes its use as a reserved global by other browsers and the Firefox Error Console doesn't issue an 'error' message about it.

      Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:49 AM
      Subject: [OLmws] Re: Debugger - "event is not defined" error?

      I guess a link to the site would help. :)  http://www.pcapex.com