Re: [OLmws] Overlibmws, Prototype, and AJAX

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2006
      Mike,

      Thanks, for the thanks.  I hope it's helpful to the overlibmws community.  There's more functionally I wanted to show in the support document, but I figured there was enough there already that I may as well formally release it so that people can start trying it and providing feedback.

      Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [OLmws] Overlibmws, Prototype, and AJAX

      Hi Erich/Fote,

      You guys give me such great ideas.  Fote, Erich is right your AJAX/Google solutions are great.  Just wanted to say thanks.

      Mike

      San Jose Skate
      408.226.1155
      http://sanjoseskate.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
        Erich,

        I looked this over today, and what you are doing is fine.  You simply need to upgrade your overlibmws modules, particularly overlibmws_draggable.js, to the most recent release (via http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/ ).

        Note that I used an onscroll event handler to reset the dragging condition, and that event doesn't trigger unless the user actually moves the slidebar at least a smidge after clicking on it.  So if the user simply does a mousedown and then mouseup over the slidebar without actually moving it, you still end up with dragging enabled in the mouseup condition.  But the user's most likely reflex when that happens is to mousedown again and this time move the curser at least a smidge, which will trigger the onscroll event and get everything synchronized again. Also note that Opera didn't have a properly functioning onscroll event until it's version 9 (so if you get complaints from Opera v8.x users, advise them to accept their browser's pestering about upgrading to version 9  :<).

        Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:23 AM

        The URL is http://65.175.198.29/resort15-53-1577.html.  As you can tell from the source, when you click on one of the unit profiles in the calendar (under development), it creates the popup with a secondary function call to load the unit profile via AJAX call.  The AJAX call goes to ajaxHandler.php, which echoes the output of another script.  It is this script that retrieves all the data, assigns it to Smarty, and then displays the template.  As the template content is echoed, it is returned as a string to resortProfile.js, which updates the innerHTML of the overlib popup.

        I’ll be happy to share code with you if you need it.

        The scrollbars that appear as a result of the overflow are functional by using the mouse wheel, and by pressing the up and down arrows with the mouse.  The only part that does not work is scrolling the page by grabbing the scrollbar itself and dragging up and down – the drag window functionality is overriding it.  I am wondering if you could detect the presence of the scrollbars and if the mouse clicks in that scrollbar, you don’t call the drag functions.