Re: passing php generated error messages to overlib Revisited

  • docdudeus
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hello again,
      Many revisions to the site and now I've run into a problem with by
      login bubble routine.

      I've set a conditional that determines which <body> markup to load
      depending on the value of HTML_GET_VARS. So now I have to echo the
      html markup to the php parser like so:

      <?php
      if($HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'])
      {$eg_error['logout'] = $HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'];

      echo "<body leftmargin=0 topmargin=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0
      bgcolor=#ffffff onload=\"return
      overlib('<?if(!empty($eg_error)){?><ul><?foreach($eg_error as
      $eg_message){?><li><?= @$eg_message
      ?></li><?}?></ul><? } ?>', BUBBLE, BUBBLETYPE, 'oval',
      STICKY, STATUS, '<?if(!empty($eg_error)){?><?foreach($eg_error as
      $eg_message){?> <?= @$eg_message ?><?}?><? } ?>',TEXTCOLOR,
      '#FF0000', TEXTSIZE, 2, FILTER,
      FILTERSHADOW,1,FILTERSHADOWCOLOR,'purple', REF,'fox', REFY, 85, REFX,
      45);\" >";
      }
      else {
      echo "<body leftmargin=0 topmargin=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0
      bgcolor=#ffffff>";
      } ?>

      Now without having to echo the markup everything works fine as
      previously discussed in our threads. I know it has something to do
      with the quotes and included php conditionals/functions. Any help
      would be appreciated.
      John

    • docdudeus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello,
        I solved my problem by embedding my HTML <body> markup in my php
        conditionals. I knew I already had the overlib function working, what
        I needed was to conditionally load it in the <body> markup depending
        on whether an error message was passed to the page. I changed the
        conditionals to embedding the HTML rather than using echo() to send
        the markup. QID:

        <?php
        if($HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'])
        {$eg_error['logout'] = $HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'];
        ?>
        bgcolor="#ffffff" onload="return
        overlib('<?if(!empty($eg_error)){?><ul><?foreach($eg_error as
        $eg_message){?><li><?= @$eg_message
        ?></li><?}?></ul><? } ?>', BUBBLE, BUBBLETYPE, 'oval',
        STICKY, STATUS, '<?if(!empty($eg_error)){?><?foreach($eg_error as
        $eg_message){?> <?= @$eg_message ?><?}?><? } ?>',TEXTCOLOR,
        '#FF0000', TEXTSIZE, 2, FILTER,
        FILTERSHADOW,1,FILTERSHADOWCOLOR,'purple', REF,'fox', REFY, 85, REFX,
        45);" >
        <?php }
        else { ?>
        bgcolor=#ffffff>
        <?php } ?>

        Educational for me, but once I looked "outside of the box", the
        solution came to me. See this link
        http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2001/05/03/php_foundations.html for
        more info on embedding HTML in php.

        Thanks,
        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          Yassou John,

          Congratulations on solving the problem, and thanks for posting the informational URL.

          You might also want to review the

          and

          support documents concerning the handling of php-mediated overlib arguments, particularly if they might include their own single- or double-quotes or other potentially problem characters (which your error messages apparently do not).

          I solved my problem by embedding my HTML <body> markup in my php
          conditionals.  I knew I already had the overlib function working, what
          I needed was to conditionally load it in the <body> markup depending
          on whether an error message was passed to the page. I changed the
          conditionals to embedding the HTML rather than using echo() to send
          the markup. QID:

          <?php
          if($HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'])
          {$eg_error['logout'] = $HTTP_GET_VARS['errmsg'];
           ?>
          bgcolor="#ffffff" onload="return
          overlib('<?if(!empty($eg_error)){?>&lt;ul&gt;<?foreach($eg_error as
          $eg_message){?>&lt;li&gt;<?= @$eg_message
          ?>&lt;/li&gt;<?}?>&lt;/ul&gt;<? } ?>', BUBBLE, BUBBLETYPE, 'oval',