Re: [OLmws] incompatibility with walter zorn drag&drop

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      Joan,

      I logged in to your test page as "teacher" with IE v6.0 and had no problems dragging your "language utility" box whether minimized as on initial load, or maximized, and whether closed as on initial load, or dropped open.  I don't use and am not directly familiar with the moodle suite, so could you elaborate more fully on what I should do to bring out the problem you seek to illustrate with that test file?

      Note that you are using the overlibmws.js (placed in moodle's lib subdirectory and re-named overlib.js) which is distributed as a courtesy with the moodle package and dates back to January 12, 2005.  You might try updating to the current overlibmws code set, available via:

      and see if the problem with IE on your system persists (rename the overlibmws.js file from the downloaded overlibmws.zip archive to overlib.js, and place it in your moodle's lib subdirectory).

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
        --- In overlibmws@yahoogroups.com, "Foteos Macrides" <fote@m...> wrote:

        > Joan,
        >
        > I logged in to your test page as "teacher" with IE v6.0 and had no
        problems dragging your "language utility" box whether minimized as on
        initial load, or maximized, and whether closed as on initial load, or
        dropped open. I don't use and am not directly familiar with the
        moodle suite, so could you elaborate more fully on what I should do to
        bring out the problem you seek to illustrate with that test file?

        > Note that you are using the overlibmws.js (placed in moodle's lib
        subdirectory and re-named overlib.js) which is distributed as a
        courtesy with the moodle package and dates back to January 12, 2005.
        You might try updating to the current overlibmws code set, available via:

        > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/
        >
        > and see if the problem with IE on your system persists (rename the
        overlibmws.js file from the downloaded overlibmws.zip archive to
        overlib.js, and place it in your moodle's lib subdirectory).

        Thanks for your fast answer.

        Sorry, my explanation was incorrect. I can drag the window but I can
        not change the window size dragging the bottom-right corner of it.
        The problem is that when I try to drag the bottom-right corner (which
        is a gif of 20x20 pixels) I can not do it for more than a few pixels.
        I have installed the latest version of your library but the problem
        still remains

        Joan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
          Joan,

          I didn't see any overt conflict with moodle's code for expanding or shrinking the positioned div (it's not a "window" as you referred to it) that you've set up to work as a draggable drop-down box, and it all works fine with the Gecko's and with Opera when the overlib code is imported.  The problem appears to be simply the clunkiness of IE's implementation of the functions used for expanding or shrinking the positioned div, which involve mousemove monitoring by the browser, when the overlib code for monitoring mousemoves also is loaded.  With IE, if you do a mousedown on the indicator gif and start doing a mousemove very, very slowly, you do get the expansion or shrinkage of the positioned div, but if you move the cursor at any reasonable speed you get "slippage" w.r.t. the gif and need to do a mouseup and another mousedown on it.  Ugh!

          If you are not actually using overlib popups or tooltips, it might be just as well to modify your php files so that the overlib code is not imported.

          Otherwise, the simplest workaround that I tried and generally works is to include:

          if (OLie4 && !OLopr) document.onmousemove=null;

          in a script block in your document after the block for importing the overlib code, so as to cancel overlib's mousemove monitoring for IE.  I put that in your script block which makes moodle's SET_DHTML call, immediately before the call.

          Then, whenever you make an overlib call, re-establish its mousemove routine for IE, plus follow the nd call with the cancellation, e.g.:

          . . .
          onmousemove="if (OLie4 && !OLopr) OLmh();"
          onmouseover="return overlib('Hello World', WRAP);"
          onmouseout="nd(); if (OLie4 && !OLopr) document.onmousemove=null;
          . . .

          Feel free to post here again if you have problems with this workaround, or learn of a better one from the moodle folks.

          > I logged in to your test page as "teacher" with IE v6.0 and had no problems dragging your "language utility" box whether minimized as on initial load, or maximized, and whether closed as on initial load, or dropped open.  I don't use and am not directly familiar with the moodle suite, so could you elaborate more fully on what I should do to bring out the problem you seek to illustrate with that test file?
          >
          > Note that you are using the overlibmws.js (placed in moodle's lib subdirectory and re-named overlib.js) which is distributed as a courtesy with the moodle package and dates back to January 12, 2005.  You might try updating to the current overlibmws code set, available via:
          >
          > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/
          >
          > and see if the problem with IE on your system persists (rename the overlibmws.js file from the downloaded overlibmws.zip archive to overlib.js, and place it in your moodle's lib subdirectory).

          Thanks for your fast answer.

          Sorry, my explanation was incorrect. I can drag the window but I can not change the window size dragging the bottom-right corner of it.  The problem is that when I try to drag the bottom-right corner (which is a gif of 20x20 pixels) I can not do it for more than a few pixels.  I have installed the latest version of your library but the problem still remains

          Joan
        • jcodinaf
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
            Thanks Foteos,
            First for your fast answer, and secondly for the copleteness of it.
            I did a slightly different solution:

            I put this senctence at the begining of my java code.

            if (OLie4 && !OLopr) document.onmousemove=null;

            And then I also add this code to my drop funciton
            function my_DropFunc() {
            if (dd.obj.name == "resizehandle")
            {
            // for compatibility problems with overlib
            if (OLie4 && !OLopr) document.onmousemove=null;
            }

            The popups of overlib are still working, but after using them dthe
            drag of the window resize does not work again, that's why, whem I
            detect that the user whans to resize (and fails) I rest the onmousemove .
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
              Joan,

              Putting the IE-specific cancellation of the overlib mousemove monitoring in your my_DropFunc function might seem equivalent to putting it after each nd function call for the onmouseout attribute of any elements with overlib function calls, but it you do the latter as I suggested you won't get that failure due to "slippage" (because of IE's clunkiness, not an overt programming error) on the initial attempt to resize after having made an overlib function call.

              I'm not clear on whether you also have not used the IE-specific call of the OLmh function via the onmousemove attribute for elements with overlib function calls, as I suggested.  It might not seem necessary if you only tested with non-STICKY tooltips, but if you don't include it for STICKY popups that have cursor-based positioning, e.g.:

              . . .
              onmousemove="if (OLie4 && !OLopr) OLmh();"
              onmouseover="return overlib('Hello World', CAPTION,'Hi', STICKY);"
              onmouseout="nd(); if (OLie4 && !OLopr) document.mousemove=null;"
              . . .

              the popups will not be positioned properly.  They'll be placed either at upper left in the overall window, or where the cursor was when you did the last resize, instead of relative to the cursor at the point where an onmouseover (or onclick if you use that attribute instead) occurs for the element with the overlib function call.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
                You are right, but I only want to change the code I'm adding to moodle
                but not to modify moodle itself. For me its important to have the
                changes in the code localized inside my files and not to spread them
                through moodle, as it can become future maintenance problems. Even
                that, I will try to locate where to put your patch and I'm going to
                add this information to my files, to be aware of it if in a future
                they include STICKY popups into moodle.

                Tanks,

                Joan Codina