Re: [OLmws] multiple draggable with synchronised movement ?

  • Pierre Bru
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In overlibmws@yahoogroups.com, "Foteos Macrides" <fote@m...> wrote:
      >> hi all,
      >>
      >> I had a look at http://maps.google.com/ and was wondering if it
      >> is possible to do something like that with OL: the map is made of
      >> lot of movable <div> with synchronised movement.
      >>
      >> any idea ?
      >>
      >> TIA,
      >> Pierre.
      >
      > Pierre,
      >
      > That Google Maps page is interesting initially, but I found it too
      > clunky and had not gone back to use it seriously. Perhaps if you
      > elaborate on how you envision that DHTML popups might be used in
      > conjunction with yoked draggable divs, I could find that kind of
      > thing interesting again. :<) :<)
      >
      > What is typically done with DHTML popups in map contexts is to make
      > the overall map image an HTML image map, and then have the various
      > area tags associated with the image map invoke popups with blow-ups
      > and/or relevant information. See:
      >
      > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/BUBBLE.html#imagemap
      >
      > for examples of popups invoked via areas of an image map, though
      > you'll need to use your imagination to envision it as a serious map
      > and directions application instead of its present cartoon character.

      well, it seems that my question was not clear enough: I did not wanted
      to add popup on a moving <div> map but do the moving <div> with OL,
      using multiple synchronized instance of movable popup... but after
      thinking of it for a while, it does not seems to be a good idea and
      that I need to do the moving <div> by hand

      thx for your answer

      Pierre.

    • Bru, Pierre
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        > > That Google Maps page is interesting initially, but I found it too
        > > clunky and had not gone back to use it seriously. Perhaps if you
        > > elaborate on how you envision that DHTML popups might be used in
        > > conjunction with yoked draggable divs, I could find that kind of
        > > thing interesting again. :<) :<)

        BTW, what do you dislike in Google maps ? how would you improve it ?

        Pierre.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:37 AM
          Subject: Re: [OLmws] multiple draggable <div> with synchronised movement ?

          <snip>
          <snip>

          thx for your answer

          BTW, what do you dislike in Google maps ? how would you improve it ?

          Pierre.

          Pierre,

          I assumed that you had taken your cue from the bubble popups which point to the push-pin when the map image is loaded into the box with draggable content as a search hit for a street address.  That's in part why I referred you to bubble popups in overlibmws.  But the key reason was the use of REF-based positioning with respect to areas in an image map.  As the draggable content moves within the box, the coordinates of the REF parameter change correspondingly, and so if the popup is re-asserted with each response of the image map to dragging, the popup moves correspondingly, and thus is "yoked" functionally.  The content of the popup could be anything, not necessarily the "To-here" and "From-here" links in the present Google popups.

          Having the box with draggable content, itself, be the content of a DHTML popup would not be difficult if you have reasonable familiarity with javascript, and it would not require any modifications of the present overlibmws code.  If would be homologous to what I've done for basic Google searches via popups in:

          and

          You would not be using overlibmws_draggable.js to make the popup, itself, draggable, but simply loading the content of the present Google Maps page's box, with its own javascript calls, into the overDiv layer.

          One of the things that I dislike about the present design of the Google Maps page is that the buttons for performing map shifts, centering, and scaling are placed over the map image, thereby partially obscuring it.  That also could be done instead via a DHTML popup which can be opened or closed at will.  It's position could be REF-based with reassertion on any changes in the map image, so that it is "yoked" functionally, in which case the popups could have a transparent background so that when set to visible, only the buttons and slider bar show and the map image otherwise can still be seen beneath it.  But I'd prefer that those controls be positioned adjacent to, rather than over, the map image such that their display need not be dynamic to avoid any obscuring of the map image.