Re: [OLmws] Layout Breaks Overlib?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004
      Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 10:30 AM

      Fote,

      Many thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.  It is much appreciated.
      The problems are in your markup and would apply to all versions of overlib.

      The primary problem is that you have made the overDiv positioned div the child of another positioned div.  For the positioning of popups to work properly, the overDiv positioned div MUST be a direct child of the body element.  The best way to ensure that is always to place the overDiv declaration immediately following the body start tag, with no other markup interposed.
      I see.. that would explain things.  Just as some background, I am not using overlib directly.  I am actually using a jsp tag library called cewolf

      which produces graphs with tooltips using overlib for non-ie browsers.  The overDiv markup is automatically produced by the tag library and inserted at the same position in the document as the chart when the page is requested.  So, from what you say, it seems I need to raise this with the cewolf development team.
      The remaining two problems with your markup may not be evident to you, but should be understood and corrected.

      First, you have placed content in your declaration of the overDiv <snip>
      Second, you have included style rules in your declaration of the overDiv <snip>
      You're right.  Just to excuse myself I'll explain :-).  As I mentioned above, I am actually working on a jsp page.  The html document I uploaded was the result of requesting that jsp from the server and saving the resulting html from the browser.  I may have triggered a pop up before saving the file which could explain why the overDiv had content and additional styling. Apologies for the confusion.
      Perhaps reading:

      http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/STARTED.html

      and

      http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html

      will assist your understanding of these issues.
      I will include these references in communication with the Cewolf team.

      Once again many thanks.
      Grant Forrester

      Grant,

      The incorporation or last update of that dynamic tooltip feature for Cewolf was in April, 2003 with a now obsolete version (v3.50) of overlib.  Note that recent releases of overlibmws do not require that the overDiv container be declared, and it is better not to do so, because the overlibmws code will insert it dynamically in a way that assures it will be a direct child of the body element.  That should make use of tooltips in Cewolf based on overlib(...) function calls easier to do reliably.  If the Cewolf developers want to stick with the so-called "Erik Bosrup versions" of overlib, note that Bob Boughner used to think that the overDiv container cannot be created dynamically for all of the supported browsers:

      but then "discovered" that overlibmws does so successfully, and he has bit-by-bit been emulating its procedures in what is expected to be the next major release of the so-called "Erik Bosrup versions" (v4.10 according to the SourceForge entries).  But who knows when Erik Bosrup might review and actually release that stuff, and his v4.10 code (as well as Bob's personal code set, to which Bob assigns a higher version number, adding more confusion to the "Erik 'n Bob" show) still is buggy and bloated relative to overlibmws.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2004
        Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 9:13 AM
        Subject: Re: Layout Breaks Overlib?

        <snip>

        http://groupsyahoo.com/group/overlib/message/8471

        but then "discovered" that overlibmws does so successfully, and he has bit-by-bit been emulating its procedures in what is expected to be the next major release of the so-called "Erik Bosrup versions" (v4.10
        according to the SourceForge entries).  But who knows when Erik Bosrup might review and actually release that stuff, and his v4.10 code (as well as Bob's personal code set, to which Bob assigns a higher version number, adding more confusion to the "Erik 'n Bob" show) still is buggy and bloated relative to overlibmws.
        I have successfully patched my copy of the Cewolf libary such that the overDiv is not explicitly declared in the html.  I then configured my application to use overlibmws rather than the supplied overlib library. I now have perfect tooltips on my charts.

        I will be posting a patch to the cewolf project and recommending they move to the overlibmws library.

        Many thanks for all your help in this matter.
        Grant Forrester

        Grant,

        I'm to have been of help and that overlibmws worked out well in your Cewolf application.