Re: Layout Breaks Overlib?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2004
      Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 9:53 AM
      Subject: Re: Layout Breaks Overlib?

      --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "grantforrester2004" <grantforrester2004@y...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I have encountered an odd problem with overlib.  I have added a folder 'Grant Forrester' to the file upload area with a simple example that contains the html.

      Basically the html file has a centered (via inline CSS) image map.  The tooltip displayed on mouse over of the region is oddly far to the right and below the region.

      Is the centering of the image map causing overlib to mis-calculate the tooltip position? Is this a bug?

      Many thanks
      Grant Forrester
      An URL to the page giving you problems would help us sort out this problem.  Any chance that you can do that?

      Bob Boughner

      Grant,

      Apparently Bob can't be bothered with the file set you went to all the trouble of creating and placing in the Files folder.  I looked at it in case you had uncovered a bug which might also apply to overlibmws

      The problems are in your markup and would apply to all versions of overlib.

      The primary problem is that you have made the overDiv positioned div the child of another positioned div.  For the positioning of popups to work properly, the overDiv positioned div MUST be a direct child of the body element.  The best way to ensure that is always to place the overDiv declaration immediately following the body start tag, with no other markup interposed.

      The remaining two problems with your markup may not be evident to you, but should be understood and corrected.

      First, you have placed content in your declaration of the overDiv positioned div.  That is the container for the popups, and starts off hidden, so the content you placed in it will not be seen on loading of the document.  When you invoke a popup, the lead argument for the overlib call will be made the content of the container (replacing what you had put there inappropriately) and the container will be made visible.  Whatever you intended by placing content in your declaration of the overDiv positioned div should be re-thought with an understanding of how the popups actually work.

      Second, you have included style rules in your declaration of the overDiv positioned div beyond those that are required by the overlib code.  This is ill-advised in that the characteristics of that container should be handled entirely by the overlib code, so that you don't do anything which interferes with its functioning.

      Perhaps reading:

      and

      will assist your understanding of these issues.