Popup blocker for IE in XP SP2 (was: Crossframe ...)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 4:42 PM
      Subject: [OLmws] Re: Crossframe and XP SP2

      --- In overlibmws@yahoogroups.com, "Foteos Macrides" <fote@m...> wrote:
      XP SP2 also is reported to support a popup blocker for IE with lots of configuration settings.  Can that block DHTML popups, and if so, does the default configuration do so?
      See this post on the overlib group --
      http://groupsyahoo.com/group/overlib/message/8240 which indicates that it does indeed block DHTML popups.

      That message concerns XP SP2's "High" security setting which blocks scripting altogether via the "Active Scripting" setting, and affects scripting associated with DHTML via the "Binary and Script Behaviors" setting.  It might be relevant to the discussion concerning object caching, but that's not clear based on what has been posted thus far.  It clearly has nothing directly to do with the new popup blocker for IE.

      Here is an Microsoft TechNet link:

      which describes new XP SP2 features including the new popup blocker and ways to configure it.  My impression is that it applies only to window popups and not also DHTML popups, but I'd like empirical confirmation of that before breathing easy about it with respect to overlibmws.

    • Robert E Boughner
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004

        http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx

        > which describes new XP SP2 features including the new popup blocker
        and ways to configure it. My impression is that it applies only to
        window popups and not also DHTML popups, but I'd like empirical
        confirmation of that before breathing easy about it with respect to
        overlibmws.

        My impression is the same as yours, namely that it pertains to window
        popups and not DHTML popups but as Dennis has pointed out that article
        is far from clear as to what is what. Only actual testing with XP SP2
        installed will tell us what's going on. I've ordered the CD but it
        will be 4-6 weeks before I get it and then I'm not sure if I'll
        install. I had a friend install it on his wife's laptop (an HP) and
        he had to re-install the operating system back to the way it was when
        he first got it. He was told by the tech support personal at HP that
        his problems were more than likely due to installing XP SP2. I don't
        know about that though; this is just what I've been told.