Re: MOUSEOFF Delay

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2004
      From: Jon Berke
      Subject: MOUSEOFF Delay

      I am implementing a drop-down menu with Overlib and have run into a minor usability issue.

      If the user drops down the menu and, for example, wants to select the last item, he may overshoot the last item and his mouse will leave the pop-up for a second.  With MOUSEOFF in the OverLib call, the pop-up goes away instantly when this happens.

      While in general I want the menu to disappear when the mouse moves off it, I would like to give the user a chance to get their mouse back over the pop-up so they can select the last item more easily.

      Does anyone know of a way to implement this with the current (v4.00) version of OverLib?  If the MOUSEOFF command had a delay parameter, that would probably give me the behavior I'm looking for.

      Thanks in advance.

      - Jon

      The abrupt closing of NOCLOSE and MOUSEOFF popups on unintended mouse offs indeed can be annoying.  I have updated overlibmws at:

      with a new core command, OFFDELAY, for specifying the delay in millisecs (default 300) for closing such popups following a mouse off.  If a mouse back over the popup occurs during that interval, the close is cancelled.  To change the delay, e.g. to 1 sec, include OFFDELAY,1000, in the overlib or OLpageDefaults function call.  But a third of a sec seems about right for recovering from an unintended mouse off.  For no delay use OFFDELAY,0 (or set the ol_offdelay configuration variable to 0 instead of 300).

      Try it via:

      Adding a new command with a parameter for the delay seemed preferable to adding optional parameters for NOCLOSE and MOUSEOFF, which heretofore did not accept parameters and could pose backward compatibility problems.