Style changes

  • David Cattell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      Hi,

      We are using the original overlib tooltips on a website. If one
      follows the following path, one will get to a page where there are
      hundreds of tooltips incorporated:
      1. go to http://www.carwise.info/asp/whatcar.jsp
      2. click on any one of the 4 red Golf/Focus links in the middle of
      the page that comes up
      3. click on the "Real-life cost" number on the LHS of the next page
      4. this brings up a report that is peppered with the pop-up tooltips.

      You will notice that we're using js to set the style of the
      tooltips. Interestingly, the problem is that this is inconsistent.
      If one moves quickly onto an element that has an embedded tooltip,
      the tooltip some times shows up with different colours (font colour,
      background and border). If one, however, moves more slowly between
      these elements, the colours appear correct and remain consistent.

      Any idea why this is? What is the solution?

      Thanks

      Regards,
      David
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        David,

        I'm on a WinXP system with DSL (relatively low speed "broadband" but fast enough for your AJAX) and I do not see a variability problem with IE8/7, Firefox, Safari or Opera.  The popups have white lettering on a grey background and no color shifts no matter how fast I move the cursor.  Can you think of anything else that might be needed to reproduce the problem you are seeing?

        Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:44 PM
        Subject: [OLmws] Style changes

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            overlibmws-digest@yahoogroups.com
            overlibmws-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • David Cattell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
          Fote,

          That's odd.  I experience it on both Safari and FF on OSX and I've seen it occasionally on FF on Win.  It is far more difficult to reproduce on the win platform it seems, than on a mac.  I cannot seem to do it at all on IE (win).

          Once the tooltip has displayed (whether or not in the right colour) when one comes back over the same tooltip again, it will appear in the right colors, no matter how fast one travels.  However, the first time that one "discovers" a new tooltip, there's the chance that it might appear using the wrong colours, provided that one moves over the element quickly enough.

          These tooltips are incidentally loaded into the page that's downloaded by the browser so although we use AJAX for other aspects of the download, the tooltip content is not sourced via any use of AJAX.

          Pleased to hear that you're not finding it a problem on the Win platform but it disturbs me when using a Mac, not that it occurs all the time, or even that often.  It is not so uncommon that I cannot reproduce it though straight away if I want to.

          David

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
            David,

            I can look at it with Firefox and Safari on OSX tomorrow afternoon.

            All of the AJAX-fetched markup for insertion into the "mainReport" div of the externalCalcRequest page which I looked at appears to be using the overlib call in your cwt0(c) function (with the lead argument for the overlib call passed in via the function's c argument).  So is that function and its overlib call indeed what's yielding the font display jitter on OSX?

            I should forewarn you that it's been years since I've used the Bosrup version of overlib, and offhand I can't see why the overlib call via that function might show that problem.  But if I can actually see the problem tomorrow afternoon, maybe that will also yield a clue for what's causing it.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
              Fote,

              Your help with this is much appreciated.

              To alleviate any potential confusion, the main report is not loaded via overlib but instead is loaded via a more simple AJAX call.  The contents of this call then makes use of cwt0(c) function (for some of the tooltips) which is the reason that these functions are loaded prior-to / outside of the AJAX-loaded content.

              Thanks

              David

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
                David,

                I tried your site with Firefox and Safari on two MACs, one with OSX 10.5 and the other with 10.4.  I could not elicit the font color shift problem on either computer.  So I don't know what might be going on with your MAC, but at least it doesn't appear to be a general problem.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Thanks Fote.  I guess that's good news - strange, nevertheless.

                  Your efforts are much appreciated.

                  Regards,
                  David