Re: [OLmws] IE 8 and bubble type roundcorners

  • Ben Johansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      Hi,

      Ok, I removed the meta tag and updated to the files in the overlibmws.zip

      good news, it works ;-)

      Thanks

      On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Foteos Macrides wrote:

      Ben,

      That meta tag is just a quickie workaround for documents which display fine with IE7 but have an as yet unknown problem with IE8.  It blocks the CSS 2.1 and CSS 3+ support added in IE8+ and so it's not an ideal workaround.

      I did some tweaks for dealing with CSS changes in IE8 and updated the overlibmws.zip distribution today.  Could you upgrade to that release and let me know if it also fixes the display problem for your documents when you remove that meta tag?

      If not, then there is still some (probably) additional CSS change(s) in IE8 that will need to be tracked down eventually in the hopes of my coming up with a general workaround for the display problem it(they) can cause.

      Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:31 AM
      Subject: Re: [OLmws] IE 8 and bubble type roundcorners

      Thank you, that meta tag solved the issue. :-)

      On Jun 29, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Foteos Macrides wrote:
      Ben,

      I don't see anything wrong in your overlib sample.  If you don't get the inappropriate bands when you use IE8 for the roundcorners popups in the overlibmws support documents, then the problem with your documents most likely is being caused by IE8's handling of some CSS rule(s) or HTML formatting (e.g., for pre elements) that is (are) specified in your documents but not in the support documents.  Does the problem for IE8 in your documents go away if you include:

      as the first element in your head section?

      Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 9:15 PM

      No, I don't get the bands under the links you sent.

      Not sure what is different with my calls to overlib, can you see anything wrong in the sample I sent. because they are all the same as this

      On Jun 26, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Foteos Macrides wrote:
      Ben,

      I don't have IE8 installed so I can't check out the problem quickly, but from your "Picture 8" it appears the problem actually is that two transparent bands are present across the entire popup.  They appear white because your document background is white.  One band is just below the top-left corner, top mid-section, and top-right corner of the roundcorners popup.  The other band is just above the bottom-left corner, bottom mid-section, and bottom-right corner.  For the top transparent band, you can see a portion of the grey, right edge of your "Summary" button, which is underneath the top transparent band.

      Do you also get those two transparent bands with IE8 for any of the roundcorners popups in the support documents?

      If so, I can try a guess I have on how to make it work properly for IE8 with a mod of the overlibmws_bubble.js plug-in module on my server, and if you find that it does, I'll update the overlibmws.zip distribution.

      Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:46 PM
      Subject: [OLmws] IE 8 and bubble type roundcorners [3 Attachments]

      Im experiencing an issue with roundcorners under ie8

      code here
      <pre>
      background="images/question_off_no.gif" style="background-repeat : no-
      repeat;" class="QButtonTD_off" onmouseover="this.className =
      'QButtonTD_on';return overlib('<strong>Q:</strong> Interesting or
      incomplete', BUBBLE, BUBBLETYPE, 'roundcorners', TEXTSIZE,'x-
      small');"  onmouseout="this.className = 'QButtonTD_off';nd();"
      onclick="gotoPage('/survey.php?uid=9802')">8<br>
      </pre>

      all other browser besides IE 8 display it correctly

      Attachment(s) from Ben Johansen:

      Note the splitting of top and bottom corners under IE 8

      I did the sniff on IE 8 here is the image
      [snip]

      I have the lastest overlibmws library, I downloaded and placed it in
      just before this test to see if it was just a version thing.

      any help is much apprecited

      Ben Johansen
      http://www.webspinr.com
      benj@...