feeling stupid

  • KG
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
      I have been using some version of overLib for many years. I hit a wall today. I have overLib stuff on most every page we have and today I added some overLib to a dynamic page that had none yet. The new content was copied and pasted, for speed, it isn't working!! Has anyone come up with a list of "if you do this" it won't work? The new stuff is not working in IE and Firefox too. There are no errors reported.

      Thanks,
      -
      KG
      Web Applications Developer / Webmaster
      www.SEWP.nasa.gov
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        KG,

        You've renamed it overlib.js but your www.SEWP.nasa.gov site is using overlibmws.js so you're in the correct support group.  The support document set can be accessed via:

        If by "dynamic" you mean you are trying to use AJAX techniques, take a look at the:
        support document.

        If you're using php, look at the:
        and:
        support documents.

        Otherwise, could you provide more substantive information on what you are trying to do, and a URL for the "dynamic page" so we can try to see what you've done thus far?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
          Yes I still call it overLib but use the advanced OLmws, easier to change the pkg name than change all the pages.
          All my new stuff is on DEV server unavailable to the public.
          Perl is my CGI dynamically building content from the DB.

          What is not working is --- A HREF=someurl onmouseover=return overdiv(someText, ABOVE) onmouseout=return nd()
          I am using the same thing on another page and it works.
          Are there any known issues with olmws used on pages with lots DIVs? CSS? JQuery?

          KG Woltz
          NASA SEWP Webmaster
          301-614-7120
          --------------------------
          Sent via BlackBerry(240-304-5451)

          If by "dynamic" you mean you are trying to use AJAX techniques, take a look at the:
          http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/AJAX.html
          support document.

          If you're using php, look at the:
          http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/overlibmwsPHP.html
          and:
          http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/overlibmwsPHPquote.php5

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
            This example can be found in page at URL: https://www.sewp.nasa.gov/quote_test.html
            The html copied here.
            There are multiple instances in this example page NONE throw errors and NONE of them work.
            Any suggestions will be appreciated.
            Thanks,
            -
            KG

            Yes, I still call it overLib but use the advanced OLmws, easier to change the pkg name than change all the pages.
            All my new stuff is on DEV server unavailable to the public.
            Perl is my CGI dynamically building content from the DB.

            What is NOT working is --- A HREF=someurl onmouseover=return overlib(someText, ABOVE) onmouseout=return nd()

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009

              KG,

              Near the bottom of the document and inappropriately within a div rather than as a direct child of the body you have:

              and in your style block in the head section you have:

              #overDiv{
               position:absolute;
               visibility:hidden;
               display:none;
               z-index:13;
              }

              The overlibmws library normally displays the popup by changing the visibility value from hidden to visible, but you've inappropriately added display:none and so the popup still does not get displayed.  It is best not to declare and style overDiv yourself but instead just let the library create it, properly.  But if you need to declare it yourself, read the Getting Started support document:

              and do it as instructed there.

              I have been using some version of overLib for many years. I hit a wall today. I have overLib stuff on most every page we have and today I added some overLib to a dynamic page that had none yet. The new content was copied and pasted, for speed, it isn't working!! Has anyone come up with a list of "if you do this" it won't work?  The new stuff is not working in IE and Firefox too. There are no errors reported.

              Thanks,
              -
              KG
              Web Applications Developer / Webmaster
              www.SEWP.nasa.gov

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:overlibmws-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:overlibmws-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • KG Woltz (internal)
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009

                THANKS Fote,

                After removing the  display:none;  all works as normal.

                Regards,

                -

                KG

                301-614-7120