Basic set up

  • james.mandeville@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2009
      I am having problems with the basic set up.

      In my header I have:

      <title>Survival Note: Seasonal Forest</title>
      <link rel="StyleSheet" href="coolstyle.css" type="text/css">

      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="overlibmws.js"></script>

      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="javascripts.js"></script>
      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="pop-closeup.js"></script>
      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="mouseover.js"></script>
      </head>

      When I try to run the page localy on my server I get:

      Line: 1 Character: 1 Error: Invalid Character
      Code: 0 URL: file:///X:/My%20Documents/New%20Websites/coolC24/overlibmws.js

      Does overlibmws only work if the web page is posted to the internet?
      I pasted the basic code on the instructions after the body tag and used the simple tool tip code as shown on the overlib website.

      If anyone can help me I would be very grateful
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2009
        James,

        IE gives inscrutable "Invalid Character" error messages if two or more .js files to be imported via script blocks are not found.  Your mark-up has four script blocks which seek .js files in the same folder as the .html file.  Are all of the .js files actually there?

        In contrast, the Firefox Error Console will not issue error messages about unfound .js files, but only about any subsequent functional consequences of them not having been imported.  But that also can be confusing if the actual problem is failures to import .js files.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2009
          Are those other modules associated with the overLib script? Wonder if there is some kind of conflict? (don't know)

          Anyways, you can try;
          Adjusting your script blocks as such: REMOVE the (language="JavaScript")

          <script type="text/javascript" src="javascripts.js"></script>

          Place your modules in the same location as your page, Not in another directory.

          Put the strings in alphabetical order (don't ask)

          Most importantly, make sure there are no missing '('s) or ,('s) coding mishaps. Just one , not there and you break the code.

          Moving a module around inside of a program may corrupt the path as far as the editing program is concerned or even corrupt the module. (happened to me)

          Remember some modules functionalities are set to "0" by default so either turn them on or use an override.

          Hope some of this works 4U

          :)
          PRO2

          recommend