Fancy Overlibs?

  • jbm1949
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
      I was wondering if anyone had "Web2.0" any of the overlibmws's

      What I mean is having the ability to have nicer custom borders to any of the popups.. (In my case in particular the iframe ones) This might have the look and feel similar to "Snap Shots"

      http://www.snap.com/

      I'm going to start working on this and if anyone has already done some work in this area that would be helpful..

      Thanks..

      John..
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
        John

        See:

        and the:

        "preliminary" support document concerning use of CSS-based, non-image-based round corners for the browsers which support that.  But IE still doesn't support that, and is still the most widely used browser.

        So for now you still need to use images with partial transparencies to abut the popup content.  The function you'd need to enhance in the overlibmws_bubble.js plug-in module is OLdoRoundCorners, and the interfaces to it so as to be able to use tack-on images with pointers.  But the Snap Shots:

        software was written specifically to do that kind of thing, and already does it extremely well.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009

          > "preliminary" support document concerning use of CSS-based, non-image-based round corners for the browsers which support that. But IE still doesn't support that, and is still the most widely used browser.

          Yes, I knew that and was not suggesting that technique at this time. (as nice as that would be...)

          > So for now you still need to use images with partial transparencies to abut the popup content. The function you'd need to enhance in the overlibmws_bubble.js plug-in module is OLdoRoundCorners, and the interfaces to it so as to be able to use tack-on images with pointers.

          Yes, that was where I was going to start.. I will need to review your code, but I suspect my main "block" will be adding a "hot spot" in the upper right corner where the "close graphic" will need to be.

          >snap software was written specifically to do that kind of thing, and already does it extremely well.

          Yes it does but I find what they have there is very annoying.. and I have a different use that does not fit into their marketing and development direction.

          Also I would like to see this in open source so that all of us can add that clean Web2.0 look to our websites..

          To give you an idea of where I want to go with this.. go to:

          http://www.sonicspider.com/

          and click the "Tell a Friend" button on the top of the right sidebar.

          That popup is an overlibmws popup (iframe) and I want that to have the look and feel similar to that of snap.com.

          Thanks for any ideas you might have to share and I'll be glad to share back the final details..

          John..
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            John,

            You shouldn't have much trouble modifying OLdoRoundCorners to do what you would like for cases in which the content is a specified width and height by virtue of having an OLiframeContent call as the lead argument for your overlib call.

            But as a quickie strategy for doing that kind of thing without having to modify any existing overlibmws modules, you could create images which are a bit larger than your iframe content and are placed in the background to encase the iframe content, with the appropriate combination of transparencies plus non-transparent "borders" and a pointer in those images.

            For example, to create your "Tell a Friend" popup you could use:

             function callWidget_TF() {
              if (checkDblClickCheck() == false) {
               overlib(OLiframeContent(
                'http://server.sonicwebwidgets.com/widget/server?PROFILE_ID=4',
                400, 380, 'if1', 0, 'auto'),
                CAPTION,'Tell a Friend',
                TEXTPADDING,0, CAPTIONPADDING,4,
                STICKY, CLOSECLICK,// SCROLL,
                MIDX,0, RELY,90,
                STATUS,'All fields required.',
                BORDER,15, BGCLASS,'', BGCOLOR,'',
                BGBACKGROUND,
                'http://server.sonicwebwidgets.com/images/tellafriend430x410.gif);
              }

            where tellafriend430x410.gif is a 430 px by 410 px image which encases your 400 px by 380 px iframe content.  By virtue of that BORDER command you'd have what is actually a 15 px "border" around the iframe content, but transparencies in the image could yield different "apparent" widths at top, right, bottom and/or left.

            Alternatively, you could use something like:

             function callWidget_TF() {
              if (checkDblClickCheck() == false) {
               overlib(OLiframeContent(
                'http://server.sonicwebwidgets.com/widget/server?PROFILE_ID=4',
                400, 380, 'if1', 0, 'auto'),
                CAPTION,'Tell a Friend',
                TEXTPADDING,0, CAPTIONPADDING,4,
                STICKY, CLOSECLICK,// SCROLL,
                MIDX,0, RELY,90,
                STATUS,'All fields required.',
                BGCLASS,'', BGCOLOR,'',
                PADX,5,5, PADY,5,20, WIDTH,410,
                BACKGROUND,
                'http://server.sonicwebwidgets.com/images/tellafriend410x405.gif);
              }

            where tellafriend410x405.gif is a 410 px by 405 px image which by virtue of using the BACKGROUND (instead of BGBACKGROUND) command with those PADX and PADY parameters encases the iframe content with 5 px at top, left and right, and 20 px at bottom.  But the BACKGROUND command induces FULLHTML so that you'd need to create the CAPTION and Close link yourself within the iframe content, whereas with the BGBACKGROUND command you're simply replacing your present SHADOW command with ones for creating image-based encasement, but otherwise using your present popup content.

            Of course, this is just a quickie strategy (if you're facile with Photoshop or its equivalent to create the background images) for some of your existing popups with iframe content, and a more general solution via a new plugin module which uses the overlibmws_bubble.js code and mods of its OLdoRoundCorners as the starting point would be much better in the long run.

            Good luck, and please do keep us informed about your progress.