Re: [OLmws] Google map within an IFRAME issue on IE7 only... solved

  • r welti
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
      After much gnashing of teeth, the removal of a tiny bit of offending code allowed
      the Google Map to run in an IFRAME called by Overlibmws:

      Removing "overflow: hidden" from the BODY tag was the trick:

      $ diff gmap gmaptest
      364c364,365
      <   print qq(body {margin: 0; padding: 0; overflow: hidden;});
      ---
      >   #rcw: print qq(body {margin: 0; padding: 0; overflow: hidden;});
      >   print qq(body {margin: 0; padding: 0; });

      I send this so it is recorded in the email archives so another future code warrior
      may find this and see if it help him or her with a similar IFRAME problem.

      Another solution, similar to Fote's below, was going to be using a Static Google
      Map (google it to see what I mean) which has far fewer controls and CSS layout
      stuff, and probably would have worked, at the sacrifice of the zoom, pan, etc.

      R.Welti

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
        Russ,

        Although that's an effective workaround, I think you want to keep the overflow:hidden for the body element.  Instead, you have bad markup further down in the <!--[if IE]> section which should be fixed.  There are three instance of an expression with:

        document.body.clientWidth

        in the argument, and in all three instances that should be:

        document.documentElement.clientWidth

        to be valid markup with the XHTML DOCTYPE that you are using.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
          But Fote,  I do want to fix the real problem ... when I was debugging all day,
          I completely deleted the entire conditional thing for IE, and the problem was
          still there.  Does that not rule it out as the cause?     I will see if it is too late
          to investigate the change you suggest.   Thanks very much, Russ

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
            I can't thank you enough for looking at that page, Fote, you were right!

            The BODY overflow is not the issue it was using 'body' where 'documentElement'
            should have been.

            Thanks a million,

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
              Russ,

              Note that simply getting rid of the <!--[if IE]> section didn't fix the problem because you need that conditional to use clientWidth and clientHeight for IE (instead of innerWidth and innerHeight as for the other browsers).  In the overlibmws.js core module I've included an OLfd(f) function for choosing body versus documentElement depending on the compatibility mode (which is determined via the DOCTYPE declaration), so that one would have used:

              OLfd(self).clientWidth
              and
              OLfd(self).clientHeight

              but since in your procedure the DOCTYPE always is XHTML in standards (as opposed to quirks) mode, you always want documentElement instead of body and don't need such a function, but instead can simply "hard-wire" the choice of documentElement.