Re: [OLmws] Problem with relative positioning - revisited

    Message 1 of 16 , May 14, 2008
      > Do you have any idea what could possibly be going with
      >  IE8 in strict mode?

      Change your body start tag in IE8MockupTest.html to:

       scY=OLpageLoc(sc,'Top'),k=OLgetRef('Key'),
       kY=OLpageLoc(k,'Top');alert('scY: '+scY+'\nkY: '+kY);
       return overlib(KeyIconText,
        VAUTO, WRAP, SHADOW, REF,'Key', REFC,'UL'
        REFP,'UR', REFX,-10, REFY,-30, STATUS,' ',
        DELAY,0);">

      IE7 is correctly reporting 21 and 71.  Is IE8beta off by 12?

    • dave_rado
      Message 2 of 16 , May 14, 2008
        Hi Fote

        > Change your body start tag in IE8MockupTest.html to:

        > scY=OLpageLoc(sc,'Top'),k=OLgetRef('Key'),
        > kY=OLpageLoc(k,'Top');alert('scY: '+scY+'\nkY: '+kY);
        > return overlib(KeyIconText,
        > VAUTO, WRAP, SHADOW, REF,'Key', REFC,'UL'
        > REFP,'UR', REFX,-10, REFY,-30, STATUS,' ',
        > DELAY,0);">
        >
        > IE7 is correctly reporting 21 and 71. Is IE8beta off by 12?

        I'm not sure what I've done wrong (see my mock-up at
        http://tinyurl.com/6e2gyy) but I'm getting an error message:

        Expected ")"

        I can't see any obvious place where there could be a missing closing
        bracket?

        Dave
      • dave_rado
        Message 3 of 16 , May 14, 2008
          It's okay I've got it working now, although I'm not sure what I was
          doing wrong before. IE8 is reporting scY: 21, kY: 97. But what does
          that mean?

          Dave
          Message 4 of 16 , May 14, 2008
            > IE8 is reporting scY: 21, kY: 97. But what does that mean?

            I think it means that IE8beta has a bug in its handling of offsetParent.  IE has a history of such bugs.  See:

            It shows the strategy for determining where the failure is occurring, should you want to figure that out in IE8beta and report it to the MS developers.  I don't plan to do field testing of IE8beta myself.  But this is a serious enough problem that field testers are likely to have encountered and reported it.

          • dave_rado
            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2008
              Hi Fote

              > I think it means that IE8beta has a bug in its handling of
              offsetParent. IE has a history of such bugs. See:

              > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534302(VS.85).aspx
              >
              > It shows the strategy for determining where the failure is
              occurring, should you want to figure that out in IE8beta and report it
              to the MS developers. I don't plan to do field testing of IE8beta
              myself. But this is a serious enough problem that field testers are
              likely to have encountered and reported it.

              Thanks Fote. It's a bit above my head, so I'll just keep my fingers
              crossed that they do fix it before the live release.

              Dave