Re: [OLmws] Two problems when using scrollbars in pop-ups - revisted

  • dave_rado
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2008
      Also, I've just noticed that Firefox (and only Firefox) flickers when
      displaying the pop-up - it looks as if it is momentarily displaying
      the pop-up for a tiny fraction of a second, hiding it again and then
      displaying it properly. It only has this problem with my pop-ups that
      have scrollbars, not with normal ones. Is fixable?

      Sorry to try your patience with so many weird browser
      incompatibilities, and apologies again for not testing thoroughly
      enough previously.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2008
        Dave,

        This is a longstanding behavior for IE in strict mode.  If overflow: scroll; causes a vertical scrollbar, even when a horizontal scrollbar is not required one is forced which enables what is needless scrolling for the width of the vertical scrollbar.  You can avoid that by using

        overflow: scroll; overflow-x: hidden;

        instead of only

        overflow: scroll;

        in the rule set for your MyOLLongMainBoxInner class, or where you define the BmksTOCText string variable which has an encasing div with that class, instead of following the class="MyOLLongMainBoxInner" with

        style="height: 380px;">'

        use

        style="height: 380px;'
        +(OLie55?' overflow-x: hidden;':'')
        +'">'

        to make it IE-specific and used only when you impose a height that induces the vertical scrollbar.

        Has this strict mode behavior been eliminated in IE8beta?

        Message 3 of 12 , May 15, 2008
          > This is a longstanding behavior for IE in
          color=#000080>strict mode.
          > If overflow: scroll;
          causes a vertical scrollbar, . . .

          Oops, I meant overflow: auto; for a div.

        • dave_rado
          Message 4 of 12 , May 16, 2008
            Hi Fote

            > This is a longstanding behavior for IE in strict mode. If overflow:
            scroll; causes a vertical scrollbar, even when a horizontal scrollbar
            is not required one is forced which enables what is needless scrolling
            for the width of the vertical scrollbar. You can avoid that by using

            > overflow: scroll; overflow-x: hidden;

            That works great (and fixes it for IE5.5 as well), many thanks.

            I'm still confused about the precise nature of the IE7 bug though,
            because my "css pseudo-frames" stylesheet (http://tinyurl.com/6orw3c)
            also uses overflow: auto, and IE7 doesn't display a horizontal
            scrollbar in that context.

            > Has this strict mode behavior been eliminated in IE8beta?

            Yes. :-)

            Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , May 16, 2008
              Dave,

              I don't have a good handle on when the encasement by a div with an overflow: auto; CSS rule does or does not cause IE to mis-compute the width of the popup content by the width of an induced vertical scroll bar.  In playing around with the problem some more, I've found that you can eliminate it without need to add overflow-x: hidden; by placing a generic table around all of the popup content which is encased by such a div.  I guessed that might work because tables are rendered via multiple passes early in the rendering process, and so both the width and height of the outer table would be computed before IE's rendering engine decided whether a vertical scrollbar was needed, at which point it also would have the correct width.

              But if what you have now works properly with all of the browsers you care about, given your complicated CSS and differential invocations of standards versus quirks modes, you may as well leave well enough alone.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 16, 2008
                Hi Fote

                > But if what you have now works properly with all of the browsers you
                care about, given your complicated CSS and differential invocations of
                standards versus quirks modes, you may as well leave well enough alone.

                Agreed.

                Dave