Re: [OLmws] Problem with shadows not resizing on Ctrl+

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2008
      Dave,

      IE7 and Opera are doing the zooms properly, and so for them the shadow stays properly scaled relative to the popup.  Firefox has fixed its zooms for its version 3.0 so that the shadows will scale properly for it as well.  I don't know what the situation is with Safari, but I doubt it will let itself remain the browser with bum (non-standards-compliant) zooms.  :<)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        Hi Fote

        > Dave,
        >
        > IE7 and Opera are doing the zooms properly, and so for them the
        shadow stays properly scaled relative to the popup. Firefox has fixed
        its zooms for its version 3.0 so that the shadows will scale properly
        for it as well. I don't know what the situation is with Safari, but I
        doubt it will let itself remain the browser with bum
        (non-standards-compliant) zooms. :<)

        > When you press Ctrl+ in Firefox or Safari, the overlib pop-up
        > increases in height, but the shadow doesn't resize with it, giving
        > a very odd effect.

        This discussion has been preying on my mind lately, and although I
        respect the fact that overlibmws is your app not mine, and that it is
        already the proverbial bees kness, I would urge you to reconsider this.

        For one thing, there are still a lot more IE6 users than IE7 users
        (see http://tinyurl.com/56kp). Even in IE7, a minority of users may
        choose to use View + "Text Size" rather than View + Zoom, because of
        the fact that graphics can lose quality when one zooms in. Most Mac
        users use Safari and as you say, Safari doesn't yet support zooms. So
        for all these reasons it would be really great if the shadow could
        increase in height when the pop-up box does, even when increasing the
        text size as opposed to zooming, although if it would be a really
        major project to fix it I appreciate why you may not think it can be
        justified.

        Also, I realise that you have forgotten far more about css than I will
        ever learn about it, so I imagine you must have considered the
        following idea already and had to reject it, but I'm curious about why
        Stu Nichol's method at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/shadow2.html
        wouldn't solve this problem? It seems to work even in IE 5.0 when I
        try it (according to browsershots.org).

        Dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
          Dave,

          That CSS is for always visible HTML markup using CSS with position:relative; and your inference that it might be easy to come up with an equivalent, general workaround for browsers which still have bugs that affect the shadow in DHTML popups upon changes in text size via Ctril +/-/0 or View>Text Size is like inferring that because oranges are sweet one might use some similar procedure to make lemons stop being sour.  In fact, I'm not aware of any DHTML popup library that includes a workaround for the current and/or older versions of the otherwise supported browsers which have that problem.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but a truly general workaround is non-trivial, and despite the usage statistics you cite, for browsers (or older versions) with the problem, it occurs only when the resizing is done while a STICKY popups is being displayed, and the problem will not be present when that or other popups subsequently are invoke.  That is, it in fact should be a rare event, which for the most part will be going way in the next releases of the browsers which presently have the problem, and so generating a workaround should be evaluated in relation to avoiding code bloat.

          IE7 (but not Firefox through v2.0.0.12; nor Safari for any version; nor Opera but it doesn't have the problem; haven't checked IE6) issues a resize event when it does that resize.  So you can use this simple workaround for IE7 (which needs it for View>Text but not Ctrl +/-/0):

          In your body start tag add:

          onresize="myCheckShadow();"

          and in a script block in your head section or in your imported .js file for setting up overlibmws add:

          function myCheckShadow() {
           if  (OLloaded && OLgateOK &&
                OLshowingsticky && OLshadowPI && o3_shadow)
            OLdispShadow();
          }

          Please let us know if it also works for IE6;

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
            Hi Fote

            > I'm not aware of any DHTML popup library that includes a workaround
            for the current and/or older versions of the otherwise supported
            browsers which have that problem.

            Okay, thanks for considering it anyway.

            > ... it occurs only when the resizing is done while a STICKY popups
            is being displayed, and the problem will not be present when that or
            other popups subsequently are invoke. That is, it in fact should be a
            rare event.

            Whoops, sorry, I hadn't noticed that the doesn't manifest after the
            resizing has been done! In that case I agree it's not a significant
            problem at all - sorry to have brought it up again.

            > IE7 (but not Firefox through v2.0.0.12; nor Safari for any version;
            nor Opera but it doesn't have the problem; haven't checked IE6) issues
            a resize event when it does that resize.

            Given that the problem only manifests if the pop-up is visible while
            the resizing is being done, and given that in IE7, you have to use the
            menu to invoke Text Size command (i.e. there's no shortcut for it in
            IE7, I think the chances of a user ever encountering the problem in
            IE7 are tiny. In IE6 it's more likely to be encountered but I can't
            test it in IE6 - the only means I have of testing old browsers is by
            getting screen captures of my web pages using browsershots.org, which
            doesn't allow me to test things like changing the text size on the fly.

            But many thanks for coming up for the IE workaround, and my profuse
            apologies for not having noticed that the problem doesn't manifest if
            you resize before displaying the pop-up.

            Dave