Font sizes in overlibmws.js

  • dave_rado
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hi

      I've just tried using overlibmws, having previously played with
      overlib, and have hit an immediate teething problem:

      In my overlib.js file I have ol_cellpad="4, 8, 4, 8" (meaning left and
      right padding of 8 and top and bottom padding of 4); but in the
      overlibmws file I can only find ol_textpadding, which only seems to
      take a single variable - if I enter ol_textpadding="4, 8, 4, 8", it
      applies uniform padding of the lower figure, i.e. 4 pixels. Is there
      any easy way of defining the left and right padding to be different
      from the top and bottom padding?

      Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2008
        Dave,

        I set the TEXTPADDING and CAPTIONPADDING commands that way for simplicity and minimal size of the core module.  See the Command Reference:

        concerning those two commands and its Section 5:

        concerning use of CSS with the popups.  Basically what you want is to use the FGCLASS command to specify a class with that padding, e.g., your style block or imported css file might include:

        .olfg {background-color: #ccccff; padding: 4px, 8px, 4px, 8px;}

        and your overlib call could include FGCLASS, 'olfg' if you have not made that the page default via an OLpageDefaults call.  In general, there are now substantial differences between overlibmws and its Bosrup overlib "heritage" so you should be sure to review the Getting Started:

        support document, and thereafter review relevant parts of the Command Reference (it's way too big for one reading, with way too much to simply remember it all  :<) when you encounter incompatibilities.  Those support documents explain why it is better to use an OLpageDefaults call instead of editing the ol_foo variables in the core and/or plug-in .js files to set your page defaults.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2008

          > Dave,
          >
          > I set the TEXTPADDING and CAPTIONPADDING commands that way for
          simplicity and minimal size of the core module. See the Command
          Reference:

          > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html
          >
          > concerning those two commands and its Section 5:
          >
          > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html#cascading-style-sheets
          >
          > concerning use of CSS with the popups. Basically what you want is
          to use the FGCLASS command to specify a class with that padding, e.g.,
          your style block or imported css file might include:

          > .olfg {background-color: #ccccff; padding: 4px, 8px, 4px, 8px;}
          >
          > and your overlib call could include FGCLASS, 'olfg' if you have not
          made that the page default via an OLpageDefaults call. In general,
          there are now substantial differences between overlibmws and its
          Bosrup overlib "heritage" so you should be sure to review the Getting
          Started:

          > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/STARTED.html
          >
          > support document, and thereafter review relevant parts of the
          Command Reference (it's way too big for one reading, with way too much
          to simply remember it all :<) when you encounter incompatibilities.
          Those support documents explain why it is better to use an
          OLpageDefaults call instead of editing the ol_foo variables in the
          core and/or plug-in .js files to set your page defaults.

          > Fote

          Okay I'll study a bit more and post back.

          Dave
        • dave_rado
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2008

            > Dave,
            >
            > I set the TEXTPADDING and CAPTIONPADDING commands that way for
            simplicity and minimal size of the core module. See the Command
            Reference:

            > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html
            >
            > concerning those two commands and its Section 5:
            >
            > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html#cascading-style-sheets
            >
            > concerning use of CSS with the popups. Basically what you want is
            to use the FGCLASS command to specify a class with that padding, e.g.,
            your style block or imported css file might include:

            > .olfg {background-color: #ccccff; padding: 4px, 8px, 4px, 8px;}
            >
            > and your overlib call could include FGCLASS, 'olfg' if you have not
            made that the page default via an OLpageDefaults call. In general,
            there are now substantial differences between overlibmws and its
            Bosrup overlib "heritage" so you should be sure to review the Getting
            Started:

            > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/STARTED.html
            >
            > support document, and thereafter review relevant parts of the
            Command Reference (it's way too big for one reading, with way too much
            to simply remember it all :<) when you encounter incompatibilities.
            Those support documents explain why it is better to use an
            OLpageDefaults call instead of editing the ol_foo variables in the
            core and/or plug-in .js files to set your page defaults.

            > Fote

            Thanks Fote. I've got most of it working now, but with some glitches.

            1) In my OverlibPageDefaults.js file I've got:
            CLOSEFONTCLASS,"OLCloseFontClass"

            and in my OverlibStyles.css file I've got:
            .OLCloseFontClass { color: #ffffdf; }
            But the colour is being ignored (whereas when I used CLOSECOLOR it
            worked). I've also tried:
            .OLCloseFontClass a:link {color: #ffffdf;}
            But that also gets ignored.

            If I want to use a CLOSEFONTCLASS style, how do I set the colour of
            the Close text?

            2) When I tried to use "padding: 4px, 8px, 4px, 8px;" as you
            suggested, it was ignored by the browser. using "padding-left: 4px;
            padding-right: 4px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px" works
            though. But I don't understand why the other method didn't work. Not
            that it's important, but I'm curious.

            3) In order to get it to look the same as it had looked when using
            overlib, where I'd defined ol_cellpad="4, 8, 4, 8", I had to use
            "padding-left: 4px; padding-right: 4px; padding-top: 2px;
            padding-bottom: 2px" in my css file - i.e. I had to divide the values
            in two. Compare my overlib mock-up at http://tinyurl.com/35ppr8, which
            uses ol_cellpad="4, 8, 4, 8", with my overlibmws mock-up at
            http://tinyurl.com/2smuhw - the actual padding looks the same in both
            mock-ups, yet the values in the mws mock-up are half those of the
            other one. Again, it's not really important, but I'm curious.

            Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2008
              Dave,

              I'm using capitol OL as the "universal" prefix in the overlibmws distribution, but in turn its users should not do that so as to avoid any possibility of namespace collisions (in future releases, even if you don't have a conflict now).  The safest way to set up a consistent naming scheme for your imported files is to use a prefix of my, either itself, or as myOL for overlibmws, e.g.,

              /* for FGCLASS */
              .myOLMainBoxClass {
                background-color: #ffffdf;
                padding: 4px 8px 4px 8px;
               }

              Note that there are no commas in that padding rule.  That error, and perhaps typos (you're missing an open-curly-brace in your OverlibStyles.css), may account for things not working as you intended in your present markup.

              Also note that the CSS section of the Command Reference:

              has 3 demonstration links.  The second one:

              illustrates how to set the style of the Close link (including on hover, which you want to set for when you use the CLOSECLICK command).

              A good basic reference for generating CSS rules is:

              It's pretty old now and doesn't cover all one can do these days via CSS, but has everything you are likely to need for overlibmws popups, presented in a very clear manner (IMHO).  Spending some time reviewing that might be better than using trial and error and likely going down paths that seem to be working but may basically just be compounding the browsers' error handling and eventually will just lead to excessive frustration.

              Then, if you do decide to use overlibmws seriously, also start reviewing its support documents via:

              Finally, it's wise to check your work via the W3C's CSS Validation Service:

              and Markup (HTML / XHTML) Validation Service:

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2008
                Hi Fote

                > I'm using capitol OL as the "universal" prefix in the overlibmws
                distribution, but in turn its users should not do that so as to avoid
                any possibility of namespace collisions (in future releases, even if
                you don't have a conflict now). The safest way to set up a consistent
                naming scheme for your imported files is to use a prefix of my, either
                itself, or as myOL for overlibmws, e.g.,

                > /* for FGCLASS */
                > .myOLMainBoxClass {
                > background-color: #ffffdf;
                > padding: 4px 8px 4px 8px;
                > }

                Many thanks, I've got that working now (albeit using 2px 4px 2px 4px;).

                > Also note that the CSS section of the Command Reference:
                > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/commandRef.html#cascading-style-sheets
                >
                > has 3 demonstration links. The second one:
                >
                > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/NOCLOSE.html#styledemo
                >
                > illustrates how to set the style of the Close link (including on
                hover, which you want to set for when you use the CLOSECLICK command).

                I've got that working as well, now, although I've noticed that for
                some reason it only works if I load my OverlibStyles.css file *after*
                my main style sheet - if I load the OverlibStyles.css file before my
                main style sheet, the close button's colour that gets displayed is my
                a:link colour, for some reason. (My mock-up is now at
                http://tinyurl.com/35ppr8).

                > A good basic reference for generating CSS rules is:
                >
                > http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
                >
                > It's pretty old now and doesn't cover all one can do these days via
                CSS, but has everything you are likely to need for overlibmws popups,
                presented in a very clear manner (IMHO). Spending some time reviewing
                that might be better than using trial and error and likely going down
                paths that seem to be working but may basically just be compounding
                the browsers' error handling and eventually will just lead to
                excessive frustration.

                > Then, if you do decide to use overlibmws seriously, also start
                reviewing its support documents via:

                > http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/
                >
                > Finally, it's wise to check your work via the W3C's CSS Validation
                Service:

                > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
                >
                > and Markup (HTML / XHTML) Validation Service:
                >
                > http://validator.w3.org/

                Thanks, I'm studying those links.

                Dave