Re: alt tags in overlib & Section 508

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2007
      Ted,

      In the case of non-STICKY popups, for compliance with the ADA you need to add onfocus and onblur calls which are complementary to the onmouseover and onmouseout calls, and which use positioning of the popups which is window-based rather than mouse cursor based, so that the popups will work with keyboard navigation (or it's emulation for users with a motor disability) instead of being totally dependent on use of a mouse.  See:

      and
      and

      for demonstrations.  For the ACCVerify software you also need to add a noscript block such as that at the top of the body section in each of the above three documents (use your browser's View Source option to see it). That software then should issue warnings about your use of javascript, but not failures.  The warnings are issued because the software can't check that you've done the above, but the noscript block implies that you are aware of the accessibility issues with javascript and hopeful will take care of them properly if you haven't already.

      But for STICKY popups with a Close link and one or more navigation links it their content, as you wish to use via area tags of the image map in your:

      document, the insertion of such content into the overDiv positioned div and the casting of that div to "visible" in order to "open" it does not insert those links into the keyboard tabbing order, and so use of onfocus still does not make them accessible via keyboard navigation (or it's emulation).  You could try to create a custom tab-order index in an "Accessibility Panel" along the lines of what sometimes is done for flash objects, but the simplest thing to do is what the ACCVerify software and ADA are actually expecting of you:  Place a link in the vicinity of that image which offers an alternative means of navigation to the same resources as your image map is offering to sighted and non-paralyzed users via STICKY popups.

      Note that the STICKY popups associated with your image map should be positioned such that they overlap or immediately abut the links which invoke them, so that those who are using a mouse do not need to traverse a portion of the image en root to the STICKY popup for access to its Close link and content link(s), and thus will not invoke any potentially inappropriate alt/title-attribute-based system tooltips.

      Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:00 AM
      Subject: alt tags in overlib & Section 508

      I have been trying to find a way to apply alt tags to overlib popups on image maps that will satisfy our agency's mandate for complians with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

      Here is what I have done.

      http://va.water.usgs.gov/duration_plots/dp_map_james.htm

      "Notes" is a popup as are the "Current streamflow conditions" and "not ranked"...

      There is the popup for "Notes"

      <AREA
       HREF="javascript:;"
       ONMOUSEOVER="return overlib(>'Flow conditions based on daily value statistics '+
        'can change rapidly with storm runoff or other short-term events. >Review 7-, '+
        '14-, and 28-day streamflow-condition 'maps to analyze longer time-averaged '+
        'data that are less likely to be influenced by short-term events.</p><br>'+
        '<a '+
        ' href=\'http://va.water.usgs.gov/duration_plots/note_daily.htm\''+
        ' target=\'_new\' >CLICK LINK FOR NOTES</a>',
        FGCOLOR,'#ffffcc', WIDTH,350, HEIGHT,199, FGBACKGROUND,' ', BGCOLOR,'#000000',
        STICKY, CLOSECOLOR,'white', CLOSESIZE,1, TEXTSIZE,2, AUTOSTATUSCAP, BORDER,'1',
        CELLPAD,10,10, CAPTION,'Daily Notes', CENTER)"
       alt="Daily notes"
       ONMOUSEOUT="nd()"
       SHAPE="rect"
       COORDS="668, 169, 714, 185">

      I have ACCVerify software to test our compliance, but does not pass verification.. I do have an alt tag in the code, but when I try to place it anywhere else, the javascript/overlib code blows up and prints itself out above the imagemap image..

      any ideas of where to start?

      thanks

      Ted Samsel
      USGS Virginia Water Science Center: Richmond
      (804) 261-2621