IE6 (Overlibs stays at topleft 10,10 pos) vs Mozilla (Overlib works as supposed)

  • roonaan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 1:33 AM
      I downloaded overLIB 4.05 recently as a request from my client.

      I installed it on her website: http://www.trickline.nl/events/ and i
      am somewhat puzzled about what is happening:

      I added a overlib tooltip to the "print" button on the topright
      corner, to test if everything workes correctly, but it doesn't. (I
      also added it to some of the
      admin-panels, but those are not publicaly available. Same probs)

      When I load the page using IE 6.0 XP the tooltip always shows in the
      topleft corner, about 10px from the top and 10px from the left. I
      recon this is the default offsetX and offsetY value. When I use
      FireFox 0.9 the tooltip gets loaded just below/beside the
      mousepointer as supposed.

      After reading some topics in this usergroup I doublechecked my
      stylesheet as to verify nothing should interfer with the overlib. As
      far as I can tell, this isn't the case.

      Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

      -r-
    • Robert E Boughner
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 5:01 AM
        --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "roonaan" <roonaan@h...> wrote:
        > I downloaded overLIB 4.05 recently as a request from my client.
        >
        > I installed it on her website: http://www.trickline.nl/events/ and i
        > am somewhat puzzled about what is happening:
        >
        > I added a overlib tooltip to the "print" button on the topright
        > corner, to test if everything workes correctly, but it doesn't. (I
        > also added it to some of the
        > admin-panels, but those are not publicaly available. Same probs)
        >
        > When I load the page using IE 6.0 XP the tooltip always shows in the
        > topleft corner, about 10px from the top and 10px from the left. I
        > recon this is the default offsetX and offsetY value. When I use
        > FireFox 0.9 the tooltip gets loaded just below/beside the
        > mousepointer as supposed.
        >
        > After reading some topics in this usergroup I doublechecked my
        > stylesheet as to verify nothing should interfer with the overlib. As
        > far as I can tell, this isn't the case.
        >
        > Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
        >
        > -r-
        First of all I looked at this page in IE6.0, FireFox 0.9.3, and
        Netscape 7.1 running on a Windows XP Professional machine and I
        couldn't find any indication of an overlib popup. What word
        represents "print" in your language (I'm sorry but I'm not
        knowledgeable with that language). Second where did you get the v4.05
        from? If you got it from the official overlib web site, be advised
        that it has a typo in it that will affect it. Download the file
        http:/overlib.boughner.us/plugins/updt/overlib405.zip which contains
        the corrected code and see if that might help.

        Bob Boughner
      • roonaan
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 8:02 AM
          --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Boughner" <reboughner@w...>
          wrote:
          > --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "roonaan" <roonaan@h...> wrote:
          > > I downloaded overLIB 4.05 recently as a request from my client.
          > >
          > > I installed it on her website: http://www.trickline.nl/events/
          and i
          > > am somewhat puzzled about what is happening:
          > >
          > > I added a overlib tooltip to the "print" button on the topright
          > > corner, to test if everything workes correctly, but it doesn't.
          (I
          > > also added it to some of the
          > > admin-panels, but those are not publicaly available. Same probs)
          > >
          > > When I load the page using IE 6.0 XP the tooltip always shows in
          the
          > > topleft corner, about 10px from the top and 10px from the left. I
          > > recon this is the default offsetX and offsetY value. When I use
          > > FireFox 0.9 the tooltip gets loaded just below/beside the
          > > mousepointer as supposed.
          > >
          > > After reading some topics in this usergroup I doublechecked my
          > > stylesheet as to verify nothing should interfer with the overlib.
          As
          > > far as I can tell, this isn't the case.
          > >
          > > Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
          > >
          > > -r-
          > First of all I looked at this page in IE6.0, FireFox 0.9.3, and
          > Netscape 7.1 running on a Windows XP Professional machine and I
          > couldn't find any indication of an overlib popup. What word
          > represents "print" in your language (I'm sorry but I'm not
          > knowledgeable with that language). Second where did you get the
          v4.05
          > from? If you got it from the official overlib web site, be advised
          > that it has a typo in it that will affect it. Download the file
          > http:/overlib.boughner.us/plugins/updt/overlib405.zip which contains
          > the corrected code and see if that might help.
          >
          > Bob Boughner

          A few minutes ago I added a quite visible "Overlib example" section
          to the mainpage (the site will not go live until 9/9, its in
          debugfase), where the problems occurs also. Maybe this is easier than
          the print-example.

          I noticed a typo in the official code and replaced it (svar -> var).
          Looking at the bytesize of your overlib.js and the original
          overlib.js (1 byte diff) i guess this is the replacement required.

          At the topright corner there is a image
          http://www.trickline.nl/events/i/printable.png which i added a
          overlib onMouseOver to.. Actually it uses onMouseOver="showInfo(..)",
          because I use an extra js-function showInfo(text, headertext) to
          speed things up and not having to type/c&p the long overlib call time
          after time.
          (http://www.trickline.nl/events/j/sup.js, snippet below)

          function showInfo(text, headtext)
          {
          if(headtext)
          return overlib(text, STICKY, CLOSETEXT, "sluit",
          CLOSECOLOR, "#FFFFFF", BGCOLOR,"#000000",
          FGBACKGROUND, "i/menuback.png", CAPTION, headtext);
          else
          return overlib(text, STICKY, CLOSETEXT, "sluit",
          CLOSECOLOR, "#FFFFFF", BGCOLOR,"#000000",
          FGBACKGROUND, "i/menuback.png", CAPTION, "Mediation Events");
          }

          I hope the 'overlib example' on the site will make things clearer
          than they are now.

          kind regards

          -r-
        • Robert E Boughner
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 9:56 AM
> [...]
            > overlib onMouseOver to.. Actually it uses onMouseOver="showInfo(..)",
            > because I use an extra js-function showInfo(text, headertext) to
            > speed things up and not having to type/c&p the long overlib call time
            > after time.
            > (http://www.trickline.nl/events/j/sup.js, snippet below)
            >
            > function showInfo(text, headtext)
            > {
            > if(headtext)
            > return overlib(text, STICKY, CLOSETEXT, "sluit",
            > CLOSECOLOR, "#FFFFFF", BGCOLOR,"#000000",
            > FGBACKGROUND, "i/menuback.png", CAPTION, headtext);
            > else
            > return overlib(text, STICKY, CLOSETEXT, "sluit",
            > CLOSECOLOR, "#FFFFFF", BGCOLOR,"#000000",
            > FGBACKGROUND, "i/menuback.png", CAPTION, "Mediation Events");
            > }
            >
            > I hope the 'overlib example' on the site will make things clearer

            Yes, that does help. Are you by any chance running another script on
            this page? It looks to me as if capturing of the mousemovement is
            being disrupted since overlib doesn't know where it is but thinks that
            it is at the initialized value of o3_x=o3_y=0, which would place the
            popup where it is appearing in IE6.0. In Netscape 7.1, the popup
            showed properly. Also when I mouse over that line you put in with
            IE6.0, the status indicator bars indicate that it is hanging up on the
            line that indicates that it is trying to download some sort of ad

            Bob Boughner
          • roonaan
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1 12:37 PM
              wrote:

              > Yes, that does help. Are you by any chance running another script
              on
              > this page? It looks to me as if capturing of the mousemovement is
              > being disrupted since overlib doesn't know where it is but thinks
              that
              > it is at the initialized value of o3_x=o3_y=0, which would place the
              > popup where it is appearing in IE6.0. In Netscape 7.1, the popup
              > showed properly. Also when I mouse over that line you put in with
              > IE6.0, the status indicator bars indicate that it is hanging up on
              the
              > line that indicates that it is trying to download some sort of ad
              >
              > Bob Boughner

              There are no other scripts running which require mouse-tracking as
              far is I know. I have some content generating scripts, and an iframe
              which contains phpAdsNew generated ads. But you say IE 6.0 generates
              a jscript error?
              I don't think the mouseover event is being trapped because the close
              ('sluit' in dutch) onMouseover works properly.
              I'll try shutting down the adsSoftware, but i fear nothing is going
              to be changed.
            • roonaan
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1 12:47 PM
                Time to rewrite my code. I have had a function called 'event', which
                disturbed IE 6.0 so much it just had to crash overLib. An evening
                rewriting stuff should do the trick.

                Bob, thanks for your patient! I was a bit blindsighted after a couple
                of hours trailing and debugging.
              • Robert E Boughner
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1 1:52 PM
                  --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "roonaan" <roonaan@h...> wrote:
                  > Time to rewrite my code. I have had a function called 'event', which
                  > disturbed IE 6.0 so much it just had to crash overLib. An evening
                  > rewriting stuff should do the trick.
                  >
                  > Bob, thanks for your patient! I was a bit blindsighted after a couple
                  > of hours trailing and debugging.

                  I'm glad that my comments got you sorted out. I would suggest that in
                  the future you don't use variable or function names that are the same
                  as objects and properties in Javascript and/or the DOM. As you found
                  out, it it bound to cause problems. It didn't cause you problems in
                  Netscape because it doesn't have an event object but it does have the
                  Event object. IE on the other does have an event object that is part
                  of the window object and is always available to scripts.

                  Bob Boughner
                • Robert E Boughner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1 1:56 PM
                    --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "roonaan" <roonaan@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Boughner" <reboughner@w...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yes, that does help. Are you by any chance running another script
                    > on
                    > > this page? It looks to me as if capturing of the mousemovement is
                    > > being disrupted since overlib doesn't know where it is but thinks
                    > that
                    > > it is at the initialized value of o3_x=o3_y=0, which would place the
                    > > popup where it is appearing in IE6.0. In Netscape 7.1, the popup
                    > > showed properly. Also when I mouse over that line you put in with
                    > > IE6.0, the status indicator bars indicate that it is hanging up on
                    > the
                    > > line that indicates that it is trying to download some sort of ad
                    > >
                    > > Bob Boughner
                    >
                    > There are no other scripts running which require mouse-tracking as
                    > far is I know. I have some content generating scripts, and an iframe
                    > which contains phpAdsNew generated ads. But you say IE 6.0 generates
                    > a jscript error?
                    > I don't think the mouseover event is being trapped because the close
                    > ('sluit' in dutch) onMouseover works properly.
                    > I'll try shutting down the adsSoftware, but i fear nothing is going
                    > to be changed.

                    No I didn't say that overlib was generating an error. I just said
                    that as your page loads, the status bars in the "status" window region
                    indicate that it is hanging up. The URL displayed indicates that it
                    is getting some kind of ad when I mouseover that link, which not be
                    connected.

                    Bob Boughner