Re: overlib 4.0 Errors

  • alastairtelford
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I have managed to reproduce this problem. It occurs due to including
      some script other than overlib that also attempts to set a
      document.onmousemove event handler. This clashes with the function
      olMouseCapture in Overlib 4.0 and that uses the fN variable.
      The script that was causing the problem in my case was dynCalendar.js
      (see http://www.phpguru.org/dyncalendar.html).

      My workaround was to modify the dynCalendar.js script slightly so that
      the onmousemove handler only applied to a <div> within a form and to
      include the dynCalendar.js script in that div. All usages of overlib
      are outside that div. However, that is not an altogether satisfactory
      solution as it would mean, I believe, that you could not use overlib
      to describe the usage of the calendar when the mouse was over a
      calendar icon, for instance. I am currently investigating possible
      replacement calendar scripts that do not set a document.onmouseover
      event handler.

      I hope that this helps.

      Alastair Telford

      --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "suncoastherbs" <egreenjr@c...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I just downloaded overlib 4.0...and have made no changes.
      >
      > I have tested overlib with Explorer 6.02 and Netscape 7.1. overlib
      > does not work on either one of these browsers. But here is the funny
      > part...while on the overlib website it worked fine in both browers.
      > But when I try to use it on my own website it doesn't work. I get
      > intionalization errors in both browers. Basicly the error is "var fN
      > has no properties". The var fN only exist in 1 paragraph in
      > overlib.js.
      >
      > Since Javascript is a Client side execution the problem can't be on
      > my server.
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > All The Best, Brad Green
    • Robert E Boughner
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "alastairtelford" <alastair@s...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have managed to reproduce this problem. It occurs due to including
        > some script other than overlib that also attempts to set a
        > document.onmousemove event handler. This clashes with the function
        > olMouseCapture in Overlib 4.0 and that uses the fN variable.
        > The script that was causing the problem in my case was dynCalendar.js
        > (see http://www.phpguru.org/dyncalendar.html).
        >
        > My workaround was to modify the dynCalendar.js script slightly so that
        > the onmousemove handler only applied to a <div> within a form and to
        > include the dynCalendar.js script in that div. All usages of overlib
        > are outside that div. However, that is not an altogether satisfactory
        > solution as it would mean, I believe, that you could not use overlib
        > to describe the usage of the calendar when the mouse was over a
        > calendar icon, for instance. I am currently investigating possible
        > replacement calendar scripts that do not set a document.onmouseover
        > event handler.
        >
        > I hope that this helps.
        >
        > Alastair Telford

        Alastair, thanks for the feedback. I don't think that you needed to
        may any changes to the other script. You can cure this problem up by
        just making sure that overlib loads before the other script does. The
        other script was daisy chaining just like overlib was going to do.