eBay's 'eval(' filter...

  • Anthony Jenkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      eBay has implemented a filter on their listings to prevent the use of
      eval statements (along with open, IFRAME, cookie and other "security"
      issues). I, of course, would like to use the overlib module for
      listings on eBay.

      I've modified overlib.js to remove the eval functions, which appear to
      have mostly abstracted docRoot unnecessarily. I've tested it on IE6
      and Mozilla 1.4b, but I don't have access to other browsers right now.

      The only problem I've noticed so far is that if you don't use the
      "LEFT" option in the call to "return overlib()", it won't work at all
      on IE6 and it positions the popup all the way on the right of the
      screen on Mozilla.

      The IE6 issue is a little odd, since it give an "object expected"
      error on line 1120, which was never referencing an eval statement
      (even indirectly, as far as I can tell), although it IS in the
      positioning code.

      If anyone could run it through a quick test or two, or help me figure
      out why the odd behavior when you don't include "LEFT", I would
      greatly appreciate it.

      I've uploaded the modified version to:

      http://www.meow.org/noeval_overlib.js

      Thanks!