Re: [oL] failed on 2 simple testings

  • Dennis Sandow
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
      kelly hunter wrote:

      Thanks Dennis.

      You suggestion is quite good.  To delay the display to user is annoying.  I will definitely consider your suggestion.  But I have something that is wired.

      Well, my sample is in the server for sure.  But you know what ?  If I don't have the picture downloaded on my cache before I click the popup link, I couldn't see my picture.  I did an experiment.

      first, click

      http://www.pinnacle-ware.com/utensilxyz.htm  (you can't see the picture, only text)

      then, click

      http://www.pinnacle-ware.com/image/b-woodentools.jpg  (the bigger picture... now is in cache)

      Now, reclick

      http://www.pinnacle-ware.com/utensilxyz.htm  (Now, you can see the picture)

      Is any problem on the overlib library ?  Other than pre-load work-around, is there any way to get around with it ?

      Thanks

      Kelly

      Overlib uses a layer that is created by a <div></div> tag that SHOULD look like this.
      On YOUR page, the overdiv layer creation looks like this.

            Click to see details
      </tbody>

      THROW AWAY the contents of that tag, and make it look like it is supposed to.  That may improve your chances.  I can't be sure, running it locally.  If it still does not work, write again after you post the new code.

      Side note to all observers of this thread.  THIS IS THE REASON WE ALWAYS ASK FOR THE URL OF YOUR PAGE.  Your words alone can't begin to describe the problems you create for yourself before you ask for help.

      Dennis

    • Ian Collins.net (Webmaster - Abby)
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        Hi Kelly,

        A few points:

        1. You definitely need to preload images for use in OL pup-ups as, even on DSL, 47kb images take a noticeable time to download. Also I had to force the image to appear sometimes by right click->Show Picture. Sometimes only half the image appeared.
        2. You might want to try using FIXX/FIXY (or the alternative relative positioning commands SNAPX/Y & OFFSETX/Y ... not that I have had much success at implementing those.)
        3. Complex lines that include HTML are best defined as variables ... this also avoids the problem of the code being mangled by over eager firewall software ... the popular Norton Firewall is the main culprit
        3. Portrait images of such dimensions do not display well on screens at 800 * 600 (the bottom is chopped off even at 1024 * 768) - normally this won't matter but even STICKY popup are apt to disappear if another mouseover event is triggered: eg mousing over to the scroll bar. If possible try to get landscape artwork ... I realize that this is a matter of subjective and personal taste ... but hey! Its still a free world. :D

        Anyway, you can see what I mean at http://www.sa-fi.co.uk/overlib/kitchentools/

        Abby (webmaster@...)

[...]

         Dennis Sandow <dsandow@...> wrote:

        kellym_hunter wrote:
        Thanks.  It was the problem on the file when uploading to server.  I
        am using WS_FTP. After uploading, I also checked the existence and
        file size.  Everything looks fine and ws-ftp reports all transferred.

        Now, what I did was to delete the file and re-upload again.  It works
        this time.  Please forgive my silly mistakes.

        Thanks.

        Since you are so knowledgeable.  I have one question here.
        When I click on the link for pop-up, sometimes, the big-size of file
        will display half, sometimes 1/4 of the pictures...

        How should I do ?  Can I use "DELAY" function to fix it ?
        But "DELAY" function seems not working.... (this may be my mistake
        too :)

        Please help.

        Kelly

        The larger image is only downloaded when the link is clicked and the popup actually appears.  This is annoying to the reader.

        You should "preload" the image.  Make the browser fetch it from the server BEFORE the user asks to see the popup.  Then, it will jump right out at hi,/her, because the browser already has it in its cache.

        Read my tutorial page for complete instruction on setting up the preload.

        I would not use DELAY to cure this.  So don't worry about whether it works or not.

        Dennis

        Homepage: http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

        Homepage: http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/