Trouble

  • mattybmattyb
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
      I'm trying to use overlib, but can't seem to get it to work. I
      suspect it may have to do with existing page coding, but I don't have
      control over that. For example, the <head> section has an entire
      javascript style definition section in it, and the first body tag is

      nav_home_back.gif','images/nav_groups_back.gif','images/
      nav_ministries_back.gif','images/nav_childrenyouth_back.gif','images/
      nav_outreach_back.gif','images/nav_connect_back.gif','images/
      User_04roll.jpg','images/User_05roll.jpg','images/
      User_07roll.jpg','images/top_01roll.jpg','images/top_02roll.jpg')">

      before the tables begin. I tried placing <script type="text/
      javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></
      script> JUST before the closing </head>, and <div id="overDiv"
      style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></div>
      after the <body onLoad...> but before <div align="center"> and have
      also tried it after <div align="center"> to no avail.

      Can anyone help. Is my placement technically correct? If so, is
      something interfering with overlib?

      Thanks in advance. If you'd like to check the page code, I can send
      it along...
    • Robert E Boughner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
        --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "mattybmattyb" <mattybmattyb@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to use overlib, but can't seem to get it to work. I
        > suspect it may have to do with existing page coding, but I don't have
        > control over that. For example, the <head> section has an entire
        > javascript style definition section in it, and the first body tag is

        First of all there should only be one <body> tag on the page. If
        there is more than one then markup for the page is incorrect.

        > nav_home_back.gif','images/nav_groups_back.gif','images/
        > nav_ministries_back.gif','images/nav_childrenyouth_back.gif','images/
        > nav_outreach_back.gif','images/nav_connect_back.gif','images/
        > User_04roll.jpg','images/User_05roll.jpg','images/
        > User_07roll.jpg','images/top_01roll.jpg','images/top_02roll.jpg')">
        >
        > before the tables begin. I tried placing <script type="text/
        > javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></
        > script> JUST before the closing </head>, and <div id="overDiv"
        > style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></div>
        > after the <body onLoad...> but before <div align="center"> and have
        > also tried it after <div align="center"> to no avail.

        This should work. If it isn't then we really need the URL to the page
        in question so that we can see it in its entirety.

        > Can anyone help. Is my placement technically correct? If so, is
        > something interfering with overlib?

        Bob
      • Robert E Boughner
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "mattybmattyb" <mattybmattyb@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to use overlib, but can't seem to get it to work. I
          > suspect it may have to do with existing page coding, but I don't have
          > control over that. For example, the <head> section has an entire
          > javascript style definition section in it, and the first body tag is

          > nav_home_back.gif','images/nav_groups_back.gif','images/
          > nav_ministries_back.gif','images/nav_childrenyouth_back.gif','images/
          > nav_outreach_back.gif','images/nav_connect_back.gif','images/
          > User_04roll.jpg','images/User_05roll.jpg','images/
          > User_07roll.jpg','images/top_01roll.jpg','images/top_02roll.jpg')">
          >
          > before the tables begin. I tried placing <script type="text/
          > javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></
          > script> JUST before the closing </head>, and <div id="overDiv"
          > style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></div>
          > after the <body onLoad...> but before <div align="center"> and have
          > also tried it after <div align="center"> to no avail.
          >
          > Can anyone help. Is my placement technically correct? If so, is
          > something interfering with overlib?
          >
          > Thanks in advance. If you'd like to check the page code, I can send
          > it along...

          I would suggest that you look at your page in FireFox and after you've
          tried your popup check out the javascript console (under Tools ->
          Javascript console) to see if there any errors being reported. If
          there are they will keep you from seeing the popup until they are
          corrected.

          Bob
        • mattybmattyb
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
            --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Boughner" <reboughner@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "mattybmattyb" <mattybmattyb@>
            wrote:

            > > I'm trying to use overlib, but can't seem to get it to work. I
            > > suspect it may have to do with existing page coding, but I don't
            have
            > > control over that. For example, the <head> section has an entire
            > > javascript style definition section in it, and the first body tag
            is

            nav_aboutus_back.gif','images/
            > > nav_home_back.gif','images/nav_groups_back.gif','images/
            > > nav_ministries_back.gif','images/
            nav_childrenyouth_back.gif','images/
            > > nav_outreach_back.gif','images/nav_connect_back.gif','images/
            > > User_04roll.jpg','images/User_05roll.jpg','images/
            > > User_07roll.jpg','images/top_01roll.jpg','images/
            top_02roll.jpg')">

            > > before the tables begin. I tried placing <script type="text/
            > > javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></
            > > script> JUST before the closing </head>, and <div id="overDiv"
            > > style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></
            div>
            > > after the <body onLoad...> but before <div align="center"> and
            have
            > > also tried it after <div align="center"> to no avail.
            > >
            > > Can anyone help. Is my placement technically correct? If so, is
            > > something interfering with overlib?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance. If you'd like to check the page code, I can
            send
            > > it along...
            > >

            > I would suggest that you look at your page in FireFox and after
            you've
            > tried your popup check out the javascript console (under Tools ->
            > Javascript console) to see if there any errors being reported. If
            > there are they will keep you from seeing the popup until they are
            > corrected.
            >
            > Bob

            Thanks for the help with the console, I had checked it already but
            didn't understand the error. It was telling me that the statement
            was missing an end tag ) but specifying the middle of the sentence.
            I realized that apparently you can't use apostrophes inside the
            quoted sentence you want displayed. That caused it to look for the
            end tag immediately following the word containing the apostrophe. IS
            there a way to maintain an apostrophe within the quoted text?
          • Robert E Boughner
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
              --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "mattybmattyb" <mattybmattyb@...> wrote:

              > --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Boughner" <reboughner@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In overlib@yahoogroups.com, "mattybmattyb" <mattybmattyb@>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm trying to use overlib, but can't seem to get it to work. I
              > > > suspect it may have to do with existing page coding, but I don't
              > have
              > > > control over that. For example, the <head> section has an entire
              > > > javascript style definition section in it, and the first body tag
              > is

              > nav_aboutus_back.gif','images/
              > > > nav_home_back.gif','images/nav_groups_back.gif','images/
              > > > nav_ministries_back.gif','images/
              > nav_childrenyouth_back.gif','images/
              > > > nav_outreach_back.gif','images/nav_connect_back.gif','images/
              > > > User_04roll.jpg','images/User_05roll.jpg','images/
              > > > User_07roll.jpg','images/top_01roll.jpg','images/
              > top_02roll.jpg')">
              > > >
              > > > before the tables begin. I tried placing <script type="text/
              > > > javascript" src="overlib.js"><!-- overLIB (c) Erik Bosrup --></
              > > > script> JUST before the closing </head>, and <div id="overDiv"
              > > > style="position:absolute; visibility:hidden; z-index:1000;"></
              > div>
              > > > after the <body onLoad...> but before <div align="center"> and
              > have
              > > > also tried it after <div align="center"> to no avail.
              > > >
              > > > Can anyone help. Is my placement technically correct? If so, is
              > > > something interfering with overlib?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance. If you'd like to check the page code, I can
              > send
              > > > it along...
              > > >

              > > I would suggest that you look at your page in FireFox and after
              > you've
              > > tried your popup check out the javascript console (under Tools ->
              > > Javascript console) to see if there any errors being reported. If
              > > there are they will keep you from seeing the popup until they are
              > > corrected.
              > >
              > > Bob
              > >

              > Thanks for the help with the console, I had checked it already but
              > didn't understand the error. It was telling me that the statement
              > was missing an end tag ) but specifying the middle of the sentence.
              > I realized that apparently you can't use apostrophes inside the
              > quoted sentence you want displayed. That caused it to look for the
              > end tag immediately following the word containing the apostrophe. IS
              > there a way to maintain an apostrophe within the quoted text?

              Yes, if you start a quote with the single quotes then escape any
              internal quotes with a backslash like this \'. If you're using the
              double quotes internally then replace them with the HTML entity
              "s; to avoid problems.

              Bob