OBA Founder Ron Fix Heads West

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006

      Folks,

                  I regret to inform you of the passing of OBA Founder Ron Fix this evening of a heart attack.

                  Ron was a career Marine, retiring as a Colonel.  He was a Founder of the OBA and most recently the Lead EMB Instructor for American Eagle here in Dallas .

                  Ron is survived by his wife Gerry, brother Bud, mother Lillian, son Jim and daughter Kim.

                  No plans have yet been made for a wake or other services.  We will pass further information to you all as soon plans are determined.

      Semper fi,

      Jim Hodgson

    • Mike Whaley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
        Very sad and shocking news, indeed. I didn't know SandDollar quite as well as some of you, but I always looked forward to seeing Ron and Gerry when I was able to get to Texas and always enjoyed my email and phone exchanges with him. This is a loss to us in many ways, aside from the obvious loss of a dear friend, Ron was a strong voice behind the scenes of the Bronco Association, and he always had sage and wise advise on a multitude of subjects important to our efforts. Without Ron's efforts in many areas, the OBA would likely not be where it is today. Ron was one of the guys who saw a need for such an organization early on, and helped to make sure it happened. Needless to say, he also served his country with honor, and later on he went on to train a lot of airline pilots to fly more safely. You and I are safer, both as a nation and as flying airline passengers, as a result.

        In short, I think we can honestly say something about Ron Fix that we all should hope can be said about us when our time on earth is done... this world was a better place because of Ron having been here. And that ain't too shabby if you ask me.

        I am certainly but one of a great many voices who will agree that the world is a bit of a poorer place without Ron in it... though I certainly hope that the guys up in Heaven really got ready for him because I'm sure he's already taking charge of some projects! I am certainly sad and mourn that he's had to leave us for now, but I assure you that I am also rejoicing that not only did Ron have a saving faith in the good Lord but that God even went so far as to bless the rest of us by bringing us to get to know Ron.

        It has been a real honor and a privilege to call SandDollar a friend for the past 8 years. Gerry and the rest of his family and friends will be in our prayers. Godspeed, my friend, and thank you. Ya done good.

        -Merlin & Mrs. Merlin

        Mike Whaley    merlin@...
        Webmaster, OV-10 Bronco Association
        http://www.ov-10bronco.net/

                    I regret to inform you of the passing of OBA Founder Ron Fix
        this evening of a heart attack.

      • Gary L. Rezeau
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
          May Ron rest in peace and his family cherish their many good memories of life with such a great person.

          Hand salute Marine,
          Gary "Zoo" Rezeau