OV-10 Bronco Association Acquires Aircraft for Memorial Air Park

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2004

      Folks,

          The OV-10 Bronco Association is establishing the following SAVE-A-PLANE for immediate action.

          As many of you know, we have been planning for a Memorial Air Park as part of the Bronco Association and FAC Museum exhibit.  Today our Chairman, Chuck Burin, signed a loan document from the National Museum of Naval Aviation to receive, on loan, our first aircraft for that air park exhibit.

          The aircraft you see above is the last Navy/Marine F-4 to fly, a QF-4S named "Scooby" that was part of the VX-30 "Bloodhounds" inventory.  This former Vietnam veteran "J" served with several Navy and Marine squadrons, among them: VFA-31, VMFA-333, VMFA-451, VMFA-312, VMFA-212 and VMFA-251.  More pictures of #153821 can be found at, http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=scooby.

          Acquisition of "Scooby" for loan has been a long process, but now another large hurdle has to be crossed, disassembly, transportation and reassembly here in Fort Worth.  Our Rhino is located at Point Mugu, California.  Once the loan papers are returned, we will have 60 days to commence the physical transfer and 120 days after it arrives here to have it on display.

           We have had estimates of up to $30,000 by contractors to deliver the airplane to us.  Our treasury cannot handle that expense.  Doing the work ourselves can save a substantial amount of money, $15,000 or more.  But, to do this, we will need your help.  We will need 6 people for up to two weeks at Pt. Mugu to prepare our Phantom for transport.  We have had some volunteers for anywhere from 4 days to two weeks.  We will need more hands.  Doing this with volunteer assistance, will cost about $8,000 plus transportation of the aircraft.  We do have some leads for transport, but covering our volunteers expenses needs funding.

          In addition to volunteers, we are looking for sponsors for the volunteers.  We will be able to use the BOQ at Pt. Mugu for quarters, that is $14 per day.  We are figuring per diem of $35 per day and transportation of approximately $375 per person round trip.  We will also need a van for local transportation.  So, if you would like to be a volunteer to recover and preserve this Phantom, or you are willing to sponsor a volunteer for room, board or transportation, for a day, week or two weeks, please contact us immediately.  F-4 maintenance experience is NOT required but would be helpful.  This is the first aircraft in what is planned to be a preeminent air park collection of 30+ FAC and FAC related aircraft.  You can be an important part of this SAVE-A-PLANE effort.  Help doesn't have to be as a work party member or a cash contributor.  If you live near Pt. Mugu and have a spare vehicle, that can save us a lot or, if you know someone who might be able to assist with low boy transportation, welding services, etc, let us know.  We need to be creative to get this done.

          Everyone who contributes will be recognized when "Scooby" is put on display.  This airplane may be on loan to us, but it belongs to ALL of us.  We are saving it from a certain death with the crusher.    The NAVY is giving us a chance, let's rise to the occasion and preserve her now and future generations.

           Please pass this message along, we can't do this by ourselves, but together we can make this happen.

      Thanks for your support,

      Jim Hodgson
      President
      OV-10 Bronco Association
      800 575-0535 phone/fax

      PS    The OV-10 Bronco Association is a registered 501(c)3 non profit corporation.  All or a part of your donation, cash or otherwise may be tax deductible.