Fw: Quiet Aircraft/Flying BlackPonies Presentation

  • Mike Whaley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      This oughta be interesting!

      Mike Whaley    merlin@...
      Webmaster, OV-10 Bronco Association
      http://www.ov-10bronco.net/
      http://www.ov-10bronco.net/users/merlin/

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dale
      Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 2:29 PM
      Subject: [in] News/Event Suggestion for OV-10 Website: Quiet Aircraft/Flying BlackPonies Presentation

      10/31/2003

      FROM: Dale Ross Stith

      I will give a presentation to the Lone Star Aero Club on Nov. 6, 2003 in Arlington, TX: A story that was not told for many years (DOD classification restrictions) and is, yet, not well known for various reasons.

      I'll describe the event of the OV-10 "Flying Black Ponies" (USN VAL-14) and the YO--3As combining to sink the largest ship of the Viet Nam War (see Lit Lavells book) a well as I know of it. Perhaps one of you could help me get it right!

      Our team and aircraft earned a place in history as “the first … to survive in a hostile environment … by means of low observables (stealth). They have been described as the “worlds quietest aircraft”.

      We’re documenting our ‘60’s and ‘70’s efforts with photographs, documents, publications and 1st person accounts.

      Caution: We might even release some uncorroborated, unsubstantiated, and over-exaggerated stories and claims.

      You are welcome to join us at Bodacious Bar-B-Que at 1206 E. Division in Arlington at 7PM

      (You might want to come early for dinner).

      See lonestaraeroclub.org for updates, details, a map, and follow up.

      Also see the Feb ’04 Smithsonian Air  & Space Magazine for a story about our projects by Roger Warner.

      There is also considerable information about our aircraft: search for QT-2 QT-2PC, Quiet One, Quiet Star, X-26 (/B version), and similar names.

       I woulb be proud to tell your group about our aircraft too!

      Dale Ross Stith