The OV-2 SkyBird

  • Mike Whaley
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi all,

      We did it again... the OV-10 Bronco Associaiton has revived yet another
      piece of aviation history!! We have just discovered the existence of a
      little-known aircraft which unfortunately never saw the light of day beyond
      a single protoype. The OV-2 BirdMaster was intended to combine the
      heavy-lift capability of the O-1, the service ceiling of the O-2, the
      multi-service commonality of the OV-1, and the engine-out takeoff safety of
      the Bronco. Max cruise was near 615 knots (theoretically, it was only tested
      up to 70 kts due to early program termination) and the stall speed was an
      amazingly low 12 kts. (when operating within 100 feet of the bottom of the
      Mariannas trench.) Endurance was at least 14 minutes with a combat load of -
      get this - no less than TWO .22-cal rifles!!! Sadly, this formidable bird
      was never produced due to a shift in funding to the long-awaited Pave
      Quarter-by-twenty-Machine-Screw project, and the program ran out of money
      exactly 5 minutes and fourteen seconds into the first test flight.

      The OBA is currently planning to purchase the prototype of the OV-2,
      currently residing at a luxury lawnmower dealership in Stinkwater, Arkansas.
      As soon as we finish up with the Bronco Roundup and obtain the wooden OV-10
      Factory Mockup (http://www.ov-10bronco.net/OBA/Museum/mockup.cfm) it will be
      chopped up into firewood so that we can grill hot dogs and burgers and sell
      them at little-league cribbage games to provide funds for our acquisition of
      the OV-2 and other important airframes. We thank you all for your Roundup
      support!!!

      -Mike

      Mike Whaley merlin@...
      Webmaster, OV-10 Bronco Association
      http://www.ov-10bronco.net
      http://www.ov-10bronco.net/users/merlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
        Thanks Mike,

        The real OV-10 mockup "Roundup" fund raiser is progressing but we seem to have leveled a bit. As of tonight, we are over half way to our goal of raising $25,000 to acquire , transport and begin restoration on the original OV-10 factory mock up. We
        have collected or have pledges for just over $13,000. Our average donation has been $125, with 53 members plus others contributing. The Black Ponies even kicked in $500.00. Right now, if the remaining OBA members sent in $80 each we would reach our
        goal. This has really become an All Services venture. We have received some donation from a representative of virtually every OV-10 squadron or organization. I think the Navy and Marine Corps are a head of the Air Force units however.

        Appreciated the OV-2 April 1st article. You've kept your string of April Fools antics intact. The OV-10 Factory Mockup isn't a joke though and we appreciate everyone's help support so far. With not much more help, we will be able to preserve this
        important piece of Bronco history.

        Best regards,

        Jim Hodgson

        --
        Jim Hodgson
        OV-10 Bronco Association
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
          I believe I flew that airplane in late 1967 at NAS, Patuxent River, MD.  I
          had to qualify in the OV-2 before the All-Services Evaluation Group would let
          me fly the YOV-10A.  The YOV-10A was the prototype with a 34-foot wing span
          made by adding Hornier wingtips to the original 30-foot span.

          Bob Smith