FW: [ov-10fans] Question about Remove-Before-Flight tags on ejection seats

  • Bob Peetz - Webkeeper
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2013

      Yep – that be the way it be.

      The LW-3B seat was developed specifically for the Bronco. The seats were ‘mirror’ images of each other. This put the parachute on different sides. That way when ejection happened, the front seat went to the left of the aircraft and the back seat went to the right.

      http://www.ejectionsite.com/lw3bseat.htm

      Winds,

      AME Bob Peetz

      Black Pony Webkeeper

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2013
        I am trying to remember over 40 years ago, but as a plane captain in VMO8 one of the tasks/signals when they are ready, is to pull the pins.  As I recall each seat had duel pins to remove, plus the 3 landing gear pins.  Pilot would signal pull pins, and you would go up the ladder and pull what I remember 2 pins on each, with red streamers on them.  I am thinking near the ejection handle between the legs and one up high behind the helmet.  I honestly do not recall the configuration of the opposite seats by memory, or if the higher pins were opposite.  Hope I am not confusing the duel ejection seat pins with the A4's I also worked on. Memory fades on this stuff.   After pulling all the pins, you would lay them on the ground, point and count all of them, signal the count, wait for the pilot to thumbs up the count, than you would put them all in a pin bag for flight.  Trying to recall the OV10 where that was in the rear?   I remember the A-4 was up in a latched shut metal door on the fuselage,  we called the hell hole.

                                                                   Hope that helps. John