Fwd: [OV10 Bronco Association Forum] OV-10 loss 19 Dec '72

  • Jim's Gmail
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 4:45 PM
      If any of you have information that Bruce could use, please reply to him directly.

      Regards,

      Jim Hodgson

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "hbbuono" <Bbuono@...>
      Subject: [OV10 Bronco Association Forum] OV-10 loss 19 Dec '72
      Date: June 2, 2012 10:01:34 AM CDT

      A classmate of mine flew OV-10s in Vietnam and was shot down 19 Dec '72 near Quang Tri. I am a retired AF pilot and have been researching some oddities in the loss. My classmate's name is Francis (Frank) Egan. His callsign was Covey 64. There is confusion on his cause of death. He was hit by an SA-7 and was heading to feet wet for bailout. He had the observer eject - perhaps 800 feet. The observer survived. Frank did not. There is confusion as to whether or not his seat fired or the chute failed after ejection or he was killed in the sequence.
      If anyone is familiar with the details, I'd like to hear them. If not, for clarification:
      The LW-3B is listed as a zero/zero seat but recommended min eject altitude is 2500 ft? Is that true and why? Frank planned an 800 ft ejection (damaged aircraft) - should that have been survivable?
      The seat fires through the canopy - any chance that would break the pilot's neck?
      The Emergency Procedures checklist shows pulling the D-ring as step one with several items associated with that. Does the D-ring pull initiate all bailout items or must the parachute ripcord be pulled to get a chute (or is the ripcord backup only)?
      Any and all help is appreciated.
      Bruce