OV-10 HEARING LOSS and the VA

  • Jim's Gmail
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 9:09 AM
      Thanks Tom,

      This should be helpful.

      Jim

      On Jul 3, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Tom Root wrote:

> [...]
      > nearly full spectrum frequency exposure above 110 Decibels ( and/ or Above
      > time threshhold ) on a nearly daily basis. I had those on Flight line
      > exposure on two platforms....the OV-10, and the A6-E Intruder. I wore
      > double hearing protection when it became available in the late 80's too,
      > (Ear Plugs/Mickey Mouse Ears) As I recall, but my first 6 years was in
      > Division, and behind radios in Comm, and next to 105 Howitzers,in
      > Arty, which provided low frequency exposure loss. That was the '70's and
      > cigarette butts shoved in an ear canal, were the only option!!! Remember
      > the firing range every year as well, as Rifle and Pistol quals can also
      > cause hearing loss too!
      >
      > I only put those examples, as you must think of ANY exposures you had during
      > your career which affected your current condition. We all get old, and lose
      > our hearing to a certain degree....maybe, but hearing is definately
      > something that is common to lose if you were in the service!
      > Rules of mandatory use of PPE (Personal Protection Devices) were either
      > non-existant, nor heavily enforced, until the late 80's! Then, many
      > dosimeter studies were done, and Environmental Protection/PPE regs were
      > enforced via the Q.A. Dept, and Section Officers/Staff NCO's on down!
      >
      > My point is, if through your service you feel you were exposed to damaging
      > conditions, go get hep from the V.A. It is a daunting, confusing, and
      > sometimes seemingly impossible task to recieve help, and a claim can go on
      > for a very long time. The sooner you start the process, the sooner you will
      > recieve the help you deserve!
      >
      > Dosimeter studies were in fact conducted, and as far as records to
      > same, should be available somewhere in the system? I'd say start with the
      > Medical Department (Environmental Safety) records of the various bases that
      > OV-10 Bronco's were on, or get a statement from me or anyone elso who was
      > successfull in a claim possibly? I did Not have to provide what you are
      > asking for, I know that!
      >
      > Gysgt Tom Root (Ret)
      > 1973-1995
      >

      > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Desi de la Garza <ddlg42@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Howdy,
      >>
      >> After exiting from my unit, VMO-2 in June 7, 1977, I applied for OV-10
      >> related hearing loss. At the onset I was rated at 0% but at least it was on
      >> my record at service related. As part of my documentation I submitted
      >> records that I was a member of VMO-2 from 1973-1977.
      >>
      >> As years progressed I kept applying for hearing loss compensation and was
      >> finally granted 10% for bi-lateral hearing loss.
      >>
      >> The difference is that my hearing loss was not "flying the OV-10" related
      >> but flight line and turn-up area exposure to engine noise.
      >>

      >> Desi de la Garza,
      >> SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
      >> "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

    • John Greenewald
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 10:57 AM
        I wrote back about my experience with hearing loss the other day, not sure if you got it of if I relied to all.  I didn;t even thing about another aspect, I do not recall in 1965 at Camp Pendleton if we even were given or wore ear protection at the rifle range.  I qualified with the M14, as we all know shooing one rifle is one thing a shot at a time, but the entire range is firing, so there was considerable noise.  I still have my mickey mouse ears from the flight line that I go shooting with to this day.  from the 60's I seriously doubt they were the decible blocking quality that they have today, but I still use them.  In all fairness, I would not even begin to blame the Marines for my current hearing level, becasue much of it was really caused by my lifetime work around loud industrial noises.  I do know for a fact, my annual Marine physical would show high frequency hearing loss, and that tests on the flight line showed the deciple reading inside the lineshack, where it was safe, were high enough to need mickey mouse ears inside.  My hearing loss began on a jet flight line for sure.  We did wear them full time on the flightline, but when the birds were gone, they were off, but other adjoinging lines next to us, probably emitted enough where we should have had them on.  Kind of like secondary smoke, this was secondary noise, in a sense.  I do not wear hearing aids, but have always had trouble hearing my wife who is very soft spoken, and normal converstation.  If a  TV or air conditioner of on, it makes it hard to hear for me.  I've probably learned to just tune out of conversations, when I have a hard time hearing them, and just keep nodding and saying, really, really!  BAd habit!  To be honest, if I had to worry about something from the service, it might be if skin exposure to chemicals were a factor, like some of the synthetic jet oils, hydraulic fluids, and other unknown chemicals on aircraft, or in the shops. Not to mention all the salt pills we would take in a day,  working in Yuma in August on the A-4 line.  Lets face it, it those years, nobody really though much about it, we just did what we were told, and if you didn't, God help you.

                                                                                     Greeney2 aka John C. Greenewald