A couple of more Bronco questions, thank you!

  • jwhangen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

      I have a couple of questions about a specific OV-10A from VMO-2  Buno 55471 UU-00 (a CAG aircraft?).

      1)  There's a name stenciled under the front cockpit near the canopy rail, but I can't make it out.   Anyone happen to know off-hand who might have been the pilot (crew chief) of this aircraft during this time period shown in the photo?

      2) I've noticed that Broncos seem to normally have two antenna mounted on the engine booms (one on each boom), but occasionally there's only one mounted.   It appears to me that this particular aircraft only has one antenna according to the attached photo.

      What were these antennas for, and was it especially rare to only have one?

      I've placed red markings and arrows to hopefully illustrate my questions!

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/jwhangen/questionaboutstuff.jpg

      Thanks again!

    • Wm Clayman
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
        Personally, I think the photo cropping snipped the second (left boom) vhf antenna because they sit about at the location the right crop was made.

        http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/ov10a_3v.jpg

        Ed

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
        JW,
        471 was the Commanding Officers aircraft.   The name is not readable on the photo I have either except for the LCPL ??? who would have the plane captain.  The Hasagawa model of 471 had Lt Col J. W. Farber under the cockpit rail on the right side.

        Second antenna is there on aircraft that had Air Frames Change 45 (AFC-45) complied with.  AFC-45 added a second VHF-FM radio.  The second FM had homing and retransmission capabilities.  Not all broncos got the change as I have a number of photos from the 1971-75 showing some had it and some didn't.  471 in the photo did not have the second FM radio.  I have a number of personal photos taken in 1973 that show only one.  There was no name on the right side when I took the photos.  See the attached photo.

        471 was transferred to VMO-4 at NAF Detroit in February 1976.  Another photo in the Bronco Association collection shows it with the 2 antenna with VMO-4 in September 1976.

        Semper Fi,
        Chuck "IGOR" Burin
        OBA Historian

        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

          The reason for the two antennas is because some of the Broncos had two VHF (FM or Fox Mike) radios.  The purpose of two Fox Mikes was to overcome the lack of line-of-sight our ground forces had with artillery, support, or other necessary groups they may have to communicate with.  An added bonus was the ability of two frequencies.  Since the Bronco was physically outfitted with two FM radios for this capability, the two radios could actually be on two different frequencies.  The control boxes for these two radios were in the front cockpit and an additional selection was added to the ON/OFF switch; “RETRANS” position.  When the pilot moved the selector to this position on both control boxes it turned on each of their associated radio and also allowed for a received signal, say from the number one radio (Left Side) to be sent directly to the number two radio (Right Side).  The number radio would automatically go to the transmit mode and “pass on the received signal out.  This was an outstanding feature, especially since the satellite technology we enjoy today was not available then.

          I was an avionics tech in VMO-1 (some moons ago) and developed a neat way to trouble shoot our system at New River with only one person the “griped” aircraft.  At the time in our Ready Room we were unable to get a clear reception from the Wilmington TV Station; by adjusting the fine tuning our choice was good picture or good sound, not both at the same time.  That is until I used the “RETRANS” feature in one of our birds.  First “call” the Ready Room on the “squadron common” to alert the Squadron Duty Officer or Squadron Duty Clerk that I was about to do a “RETRANS” test. Then I’d wait for them to set the TV up on channel 6, adjust for a clear picture, and radio back to me they were ready for me to proceed.  Next I would adjust the frequency on the second radio to that of Channel 6’s VHF antenna re-broadcaster they used on one of their local antenna.  Once I could hear a clear reception, I would turn both radios to “RETRANS” and leave it that way for about three to five minutes.  The draw back to this was although the air crew could hear all that was received and being retransmitted, they “lost” the ability to transmit through either of the radios.  The control boxes had to be in the T/R (Transmit / Receive) position for regain control of that feature.

          I hope this was helpful.  If you have any further Avi questions (on the OV-10As) I might be able to help.

          Semper Fi,

          Les

          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

            The antenna for “FM Homing” feature was a “rectangular, U-shaped” antenna mounted on the fuselage under the cockpits and just behind the nose strut door.  I never had to opportunity to operate this capability.

            Semper Fi,

            Les

            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

              I will let the cat out of the bag on that picture.  The Lance Corporal Plane Captain was R. W. NETHKIN. For him to have been a Lance Corporal it had to be prior to December of 1973.   He was promoted to Corporal that month along with Robert Gibbs, Kenneth Dickey, Robert Montoya and Mike Harpster, Stan Visor,  and Ernie Nielson.  I was in that group. Of about 15 from the squadron that made Corporal that Month.

              Eric

              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                I'm not sure if it was used tactically but I suspect it may have been used in Viet Nam.  When I was the Ops O at the AO school we used FM homimg during the final field exercise.  It worked pretty well if you could read a 1:50 map, which most could in those days.  The only problem with it is that it required a slow count from a radio on the ground which means that the bad guys could use it as well as us.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone every used it tactically in combat.
                Bryant Smith
                Moe Bandy

[...]

              • Bob Peetz - Webkeeper
                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

                Early 1972 - it was grey and part of the Black Ponies in Vietnam.

                Photos attached - both the whip & long wire antenna are visible.

                Winds, Bob

                Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010

                  All,

                  Isn’t it amazing the vivid memories two questions can bring back!!!!  I sure miss my tour with the Broncos and ALL of YOU!!!!

                  Semper Fi,

                  Les

                  Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                    Hello Everyone,
                    Just wanted to say THANK YOU again - over the past few years I've asked random questions, and I'm just amazed at the knowledge all of you have, AND that you're willing to take the time to share it with someone like me who's not in your community of ex-Bronco pilots, mechanics, etc. When this model is done (it's been a long term work-in-progress due to having 3 younger kids, etc) I'll post some photos here.

                    Thank you again!

                    --- In ov-10fans@yahoogroups.com, "Les Serman" <lesbarb@...> wrote:

                    > All,
                    >

                    > Isn't it amazing the vivid memories two questions can bring back!!!! I sure
                    > miss my tour with the Broncos and ALL of YOU!!!!
                    >

                    > Semper Fi,
                    >
                    > Les
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Wm Clayman