New member -- old Bronco pilot

  • Michael McMillan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4 11:05 AM
      Thanks to Jim for adding me to the membership list!

      I've been totally out of the aviation loop since I left the Marines in 1985, so this is a bit of a jolt being reconnected to those days. I got my wings at NAS Kingsville, TX in 1978, and from there went to MCAS(H) New River, NC to fly OV-10s at VMO-1. I was the Safety Officer at VMO-1 for a time, having been sent to Aviation Safety Officer's School at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA. From New River, I deployed twice to MCAS(H) Futenma, Okinawa for six months each. There, we'd deploy to Osan AB, Korea with fuel stops at Iwakuni. We'd also go down to NAS Cubi Point, Philippines. What a long haul that was strapped to a Bronco!

      In 1981 I was transfered to NAS Whiting Field, Milton, FL where I was a Flight Instructor with VT-2, the training squadron I started out in. It had switched from T-28s to T-34Cs while I was flying Broncos.

      I have lived in the Dallas, TX area for 16 years. Recently [2-3 days after the 2009 BroncoFest, unfortunately] my wife showed me a brochure she'd found I-don't-know-where about the OV-10 Bronco Museum in Fort Worth! I went to the website and saw they had a Marine OV-10 that was in Okinawa about the time I was. I checked my logbook, and sure enough, I flew #155426 thirteen times in 1980 and 1981.

      My wife and I went over there this past Sunday to see it through the chain link fence. That was neat. I haven't seen one in ages, much less one I'd flown repeatedly on the other side of the world. I talked to Jim briefly on the phone, and he told me how to find it. I didn't know about this group, either, so I'm glad he signed me up.

      So, there's my introduction. I look forward to hanging out here and getting to know some of the Fort Worth folks.

      I guess I now will have to go through that trunk in the garage, looking for any Bronco stuff...

      Regards,

      Michael McMillan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4 11:59 AM
        Welcome Aboard Michael.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4 4:08 PM
        • 1 Attachment
        • 29 KB
        I have found a place that will make a leather patch like the one I attached.  If he gets 20 orders there would be no set up fee and they would only be $45 ea.  Is anyone interested in putting together an order?
        Bryant Smith
        "Mo Bandy"

        Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4 4:16 PM

          Leather or cloth?  The picture is a patch.

          Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4 10:04 PM
          • 1 Attachment
          • 96 KB

          Here is the original large 5” North American patch.  This is the AF version, only difference for the Marines is green.  This might have a wider appeal.  We have lots of AF fans and potential could offer two versions.  Of course the smaller on you have also came in green or gray.

          Jim

          The place I found will do it in Leather and I've seen their work.  My wife is the XO of VAQ 142 and one of the guys in the squadron has a patch they did.  It's 3-D and dyed and looks great.  The picture I sent is of a cloth patch to give everyone an idea of what I want to have made.  I have one of those on my original flight jacket.
          Bryant