FW: OV-10 Bronco Association : SL-8 Trawler 11 April 1971

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2008
      Folks,

      Below you will find a note from a gentleman looking for information
      on an event in SEA involving the sinking of SL-8 trawler.

      Here is a little background from a YO-3A website.

      The YO-3A and the USN OV-10 Flying Black Ponies participated sinking a SL-8
      Trawler, the largest of the Viet Nam War:

      The vessel was tracked out of North Viet Nam to the tip of the SEA Peninsula
      where it made a 180.

      Whisperdick(Osborne) went and surveyed the Southeastern RVN coast to
      determine the most likely off-load location. He correctly predicted the
      place. I believe Osborne, Shyrock, their crews, and probably others tracked
      the vessel to the spot and called in the strike. I also believe that our
      aircrews alternated time on station.

      The Black Ponies shot up the vessel, after which it began circling. Later
      that night the vessel blew-up and sank.

      Kit Lavell took credit for sinking the vessel on behalf of the Black Ponies
      and the Navy. (See his book Flying Black Ponies.

      Some say that a USN Destroyer at sea was also shooting at the vessel and
      some say the crew scuttled the vessel. Either way the YO-3As and our crew
      had a big part of the action.

      Regards,

      Jim Hodgson