Were OV-10s used in Colombia's FARC attack in Ecuador?

  • Mike Whaley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi all,

      Does anyone know for sure if Colombia's recent attack on the FARC rebels in
      Ecuador involved any of their OV-10s?

      The fallout from this event, with leaders in Venezuela, Colombia, and
      Ecuador doing a good deal of posturing and saber-rattling and sending troops
      to the borders, raises another historically interesting possibility, though
      one we all very much hope won't ever happen... the possibility of Broncos
      going into action against other Broncos. Of course, we've hosted both the
      Colombian and Venezuelan Bronco pilots at BroncoFest, and there are both
      Colombian and Venezuelan wings of the OBA, and the pilots and crews two
      groups do know each other to some extent, and have cooperated in the past in
      areas of mutual interest. I know I'm not alone in the hope that cooler heads
      will prevail and the situation will not escalate beyond the diplomatic stage
      and put our friends on both sides in the position of being asked to fly
      against each other in an adversarial kind of way.

      Any additional info is welcomed!

      -Merlin

      Mike Whaley merlin@...
      Webmaster, OV-10 Bronco Association
      http://www.ov-10bronco.net/
    • Joe Copalman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
        Great question Mike, I've been wondering myself.

        Another thing I'm curious about is the status of the FAV's OV-10s.  Chavez has been re-arming his military with non-US weapons, replacing the Army's FN-FALs with AK-103s and the FAV's F-16s with Su-30s and so on.  Of course, there's no Russian equivalent to the OV-10, but he still seems to be in a rush to purge Venezuela of western weaponry and replace it with Russian stuff.

        As a corollary to Mike's questions, have we had any word from the Venezuelan wing on whether their Broncs are on the endangered species list?

        All the best,

        Joe Copalman

        To: ov-10@yahoogroups.com; ov-10fans@yahoogroups.com
        From: MerlinFAC@...
        Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:11:02 -0500
        Subject: [ov-10fans] Were OV-10s used in Colombia's FARC attack in Ecuador?

        Mike Whaley merlin@ov-10bronco. net

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2008

          Folks,

                      This thread was started a few days ago.  Although we have heard nothing from our friends in either Venezuela or Colombia , it now appears that cooler heads are prevailing.

          Several years ago I had the privilege of attending a symposium in Maricaibo hosted by the Venezuelan Air Force.  One of the participating groups was the Colombian Air Force.  There were several other groups involved, but the Bronco pilots all grouped together when we socialized, Venezuelans, Colombians and Americans.  Over cerveza one night, one of the Venezuelans gave a toast, saying, “Todos somos Bronqueros.”

                      We are all Bronqueros and we here in Texas are glad our friends are all out of harms way.

          Salud!

          Jim