Question about Marine Corp Air Stations around 1975

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hello Everyone,
      I have a question about whether it'd be appropriate to pose my OV-10A
      model (VMO-2 around 1975) on PSP steel matting at Camp Pendelton (or
      similar state-side MCAS). Did Camp Pendelton (and other state-side
      MCAS) use PSP plates, or was everything normally concrete or asphalt?
      I wasn't sure if PSP is strictly something that's used for forward
      airfields, etc. Thank you again for your help!

      Jay
    • Les Serman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
        John/Jay,

        During my time with VMO-1 (Jan 1973 through Aug 1975), although we
        moved from one hanger to a "brand new one designed just for us (BLDG AS
        4106) during that time, we definitely enjoyed a concrete flightline. We did
        operate on Marsh/Marshal matting at the expeditionary air field (Bouge
        Field).

        Respectfully,
        Les Serman

        I have a question about whether it'd be appropriate to pose my OV-10A
        model (VMO-2 around 1975) on PSP steel matting at Camp Pendelton (or
        similar state-side MCAS). Did Camp Pendelton (and other state-side
        MCAS) use PSP plates, or was everything normally concrete or asphalt?
        I wasn't sure if PSP is strictly something that's used for forward
        airfields, etc. Thank you again for your help!

        Jay

        Contact the OV-10 Bronco Association at 800-575-0535, or mail us at 505 NW
        38th St, Hangar 33s, Ft. Worth, TX 76106. The OV-10 Bronco Association is a
        non profit organization open to any interested party - we value your support
        and participation! Visit our website at http://www.OV-10Bronco.Net for the
        latest OV-10 and OBA news and information, updated frequently.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dann
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2007
          Hi John,

          I was stationed at MCAF/S Camp Pendleton from 1985 to 1989 at H&MS/MALS-39.
          IIRC, they had steel matting for VMO-2 when I arrived but had concrete by
          the time I left. All of the facilities for that field were significantly
          upgraded during those years.

          Regards,
          Dann Todd
          nucleardann@...