Jon Ronson On: The Shaggs

  • jbernhardt1964
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2011
      Jon Ronson talks to The Shaggs - the girl group from the 1960s who were home schooled and practised for hours every day in their basement. Having no outside influences, they practically had to invent music from scratch. Recorded on location in Fremont, New Hampshire, the clip is introduced by Terry Adams from the band NRBQ; Terry rediscovered the band and brought out their records long after they split up.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gtsj3
    • Charlie Messing
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2011
        Really nice, Jon,

        Good little documentary. Have you read the New Yorker article from 1999?
        It's online also, easy to find.
        They were truly amazing. wish I could find "Shagg's Own Thing" for less
        money...

        Have you heard Jack Mudurian? Or Eben Ahbez, who wrote "Nature Boy"?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_ahbez

        Charlie
      • jbernhardt1964
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2011
          I get the feeling you think that I am Jon Ronson. I am not. But in case you still want to know: Yes, I have read and heard all the things you mention.

          ~Jon Bernhardt (not Ronson)

          --- In outsidermusic@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Messing" <amusia@...> wrote:

          > Really nice, Jon,
          >
          > Good little documentary. Have you read the New Yorker article from 1999?
          > It's online also, easy to find.
          > They were truly amazing. wish I could find "Shagg's Own Thing" for less
          > money...
          >
          > Have you heard Jack Mudurian? Or Eben Ahbez, who wrote "Nature Boy"?
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_ahbez
          >
          > Charlie

        • Charlie Messing
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2011
            HI Jon,
            I didn't know which Jon you were, just writing to you, I think.
            It's good you've seen the New Yorker article from 99...
            Glad you know the people - whatcha think of them?
            Thanks,
            Charlie