Living Once: hearing the call to get real gone

  • Telstar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      "One of my favorite Rock & Roll stories is most likely apocryphal, but
      it still works on a visceral level. It goes like this- in the '50's, a
      young and already disturbed Hasil Atkins heard the early stirrings of
      the new music on the radio, though in his part of Appalachia. That
      geography meant that the stations did not come in too clearly; there
      was static, garbled lyrics. Atkins took the promise, the menace and
      freedom inherent in the new music deadly seriously. Oblivious to ideas
      like sales, promotions, etc., he took Elvis, Jerry Lee, Gene and Eddie
      at their word, and their word went right through the mainline. What he
      heard was a clarion call to let it rip--convention had died a shameful
      public death. So he plugged in, and wrote his own liberated songs
      about sex, death, bizarre plans for beef and decapitated heads. What
      he heard was in some ways even better than that of his wild heroes.
      How many more kids were like Hasil, turning it way up and heading way
      out into newly discovered green light to create? From the slew of
      obscure rockabilly and rock from the late '50's and '60's, especially
      as unearthed by those underground punk archeologists at Norton
      Records, we know that there were a shitload. Here is a small love note
      to two of them."

      http://www.furious.com/perfect/jackstarr.html

      Al