Re: [outsidermusic] Outsider Music, not Nazi Music!

  • wlt4@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2008
      This isn't outsider per se but we've always made room for a lot of what can be called "incorrect music" (after the late, lamented WFMU show) which can include propaganda and offensive music.

      From: Telstar <aclark23@sympatico. ca>
      Subject: [outsidermusic] Swinging with Goebbels
      To: Outsidermusic@ yahoogroups. com

      "Although the Nazis banished jazz and swing from German soil when they
      came to power, branding it "degenerate music," propaganda chief Joseph
      Goebbels was not above using popular music to spread the word abroad
      about the joys of dictatorship and ethnic cleansing.

      From 1940 to 1945, Charlie and His Orchestra recorded nearly 100
      covers of pop hits, substituting Nazi propaganda – including virulent
      anti-Semitism – for the real lyrics."

      http://www.thestar. com/Entertainmen t/Music/article/ 556062

      The article above was a sidebar to the following:

      "Torontonian penetrates historical fog surrounding Third Reich's
      musical flagship."

      http://www.thestar. com/Entertainmen t/Music/article/ 556063

      Al

      "Report back to me when....   I don't know.  When it makes sense."
    • Nylstoch
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2008
        Since always, Barry.

        "Although the Nazis banished jazz and swing from German soil when they
        came to power, branding it "degenerate music," propaganda chief Joseph
        Goebbels was not above using popular music to spread the word abroad
        about the joys of dictatorship and ethnic cleansing.

        From 1940 to 1945, Charlie and His Orchestra recorded nearly 100
        covers of pop hits, substituting Nazi propaganda – including virulent
        anti-Semitism – for the real lyrics."

        http://www.thestar. com/Entertainmen t/Music/article/ 556062

        The article above was a sidebar to the following:

        "Torontonian penetrates historical fog surrounding Third Reich's
        musical flagship."

        http://www.thestar. com/Entertainmen t/Music/article/ 556063

        Al

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:outsidermusic-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:outsidermusic-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.
      • Nylstoch
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2008
          Your absolutely right.

          That's not fair. I am almost militantly anti-Nazi (contradiction in terms, I know) but I believe there is room for this to be discussed in a historical context. Not discussing it for political reasons doesn't make it go away.

          Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.