RE: Outsider with purpose > Promise & The Monster

  • b&p
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      Ben Denes:
      > I know that you can't be a true outsider if it's manufactured,
      ie. 'weird by agenda'... but is it possible to be an outsider artist on
      purpose? Not so much by trying to hard, but what if you're an artist,
      and you recognize the fact that nearly no one likes or respects your
      work, except for a tiny, cult-like few, and embrace the fact? Or do you
      need to be completely oblivious? <

      We've been down a similar discussion path before. If someone is 'weird by
      agenda,' they could be weird, fringe, cult, whatever - but probably not
      "outsider," which seems to require an unknowingness of their (in)ability.

      That said, a number of artists I like fall into that realm you describe. One
      recent one in particular: "Promise & The Monster," a Swedish one-woman band
      created by Billie Lindahl. I'm sure she knows she's a bit weird, but I find
      her music absolutely brilliant. Hear her here:
      http://www.myspace.com/promiseandthemonster . It's hard for me to pick a
      favorite of the four songs posted, but "Sheets" and "Night Out" may have a
      small edge. "Sheets" also has a particularly bizarre video, posted on
      YouTube and this website.

      Enjoy,
      Country Paul