The Devil has Texas

  • Telstar
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
      Jesse Sawyer writes:

      "Turning my room into my own private Texas is as easy as turning on the
      stereo. It's a matter of putting on the works of two reclusive Lone Stars
      who have been churning out highly idiosyncratic, damaged-sounding music on a
      regular basis for three decades. My Texas is the Texas of Daniel Johnston
      and Jandek, artists who have similar followings and career trajectories and
      yet present completely different views of the state (and state of mind) that
      looms so large in their respective bodies of work."

      http://www.themacweekly.com/articles/20061201/the_arts/10946

      Al
    • Irwin Chusid
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
        on 12/2/06 8:17 AM, aclark23@... posted:

        > Jesse Sawyer writes:
        >
        > ... Daniel Johnston and Jandek, artists who have similar followings
        > and career trajectories

        WTF?!?

        .
      • barbzigny@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
          I don't see that at all

          Barb

          YankeeCopperhead

        • coyanosa2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
            --- In outsidermusic@yahoogroups.com, barbzigny@... wrote:

            > I don't see that at all
            >
            > Barb
            >
            > YankeeCopperhead

            Whatever (?) I started to write something in response to the heading thread there, but then
            I got really tired... I'm just glad that there are people listening to this stuff and keeping the
            mythology of Tejas going.
          • Perry
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
              Is it just me, or does Jesse Sawyer sound like the loneliest guy in the
              world? Example: "If I wake up and the sun shines through the blinds
              like a desperate plea for hope, it'll probably be a Johnston day. If,
              instead, the room takes on the qualities of a nightmarish cell, I'll
              reach for the Jandek." And especially this one: "It's on near-
              constant play here in my own private Texas, always showing at a drive-
              in for one."

              Maybe things will look up for him after college.

              -Perry