Bach, Falling Upon Deaf Ears

  • Telstar
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Blake Gopnik writes:

      "Getting deaf teens to sing Bach is: (a) Exploitative and voyeuristic. (b)
      Culturally inclusive and respectful.(c) A celebration of failure and chaos.
      (d) A celebration of determination and hope. (e) Art.

      As any good test-taker knows, once you're pretty sure that certain answers
      can't be right, you simply settle for whatever's left.

      Art it is."

      http://tinyurl.com/mzt5c

      or

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/26/AR2006052600
      399.html

      Al
    • dan widrew
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        this makes me think of movies like exorcist II, where a group of
        physically/mentally ill children are played by... physically/mentally ill
        children. this of course caused a minor controversy, because people aren't
        allowed to acknowledge their condition. imagine if characters like Rain Man,
        instead of by respected actors, were played by people who really had the
        condition. people would call it exploitation. for another example, Freaks
        basically ended tod browning's career.

      • sancamilo1936@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          http://www.crispinglover.com/whatisit.htm