Re: [outsidermusic] William Hung: Outsider?

  • John K. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      the spectacle to me more in the 'novelty' category,
      while acknowedging some slippage of novelty
      into outsider category. W.Hung does not appear
      to have a unique vision (or should that be "audition")...
      for to be outsider, cluelessness is not sufficient,
      nor I should emphasize, required.

      it was amusing, and Jimmy Fallon's impression
      was a treat as well.

      - John

      To: outsidermusic@yahoogroups.com
      From: "tconklin69" <tconklin69@...>
      Date sent: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:57:49 -0000
      Subject: [outsidermusic] William Hung: Outsider?
      Send reply to: outsidermusic@yahoogroups.com

      --
      John K. Fitzpatrick
      jfitz@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hi Tim and all

        I haven¹t had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Hung but didn¹t both Tiny Tim and
        the Ledge appear on US ³talent² shows as well. Tiny Tim certainly made quite
        a splash if I remember.
        So there is a precedent.

        We had the equivalent of Mr Hung on Pop Idol over here in the UK. If I
        remember it was some of the best live television I had seen for ages...

        Best

        Richard Whitelaw
        Sonic Arts Network
        London

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I'm curious to get impressions from those of you in this group as to
        > whether or not you think American Idol reject William Hung qualifies
        > as an outsider, if for nothing else than to stir up some
        > constructive debate.
        >
        > On the one hand, Hung seems to qualify in that he comes across as
        > being genuinely clueless that he is devoid of talent and that all of
        > this public attention (and the subsequent recording contract) has
        > nothing to do with his singing ability. On the other hand, he comes
        > to us from American Idol, and the whole thing smacks of get-rich-
        > quick exploitation.
        >
        > I was trying to think of a parallel to Hung in the outsider ranks,
        > and the closest thing I can come up with is Mrs. Miller, but Mrs.
        > Miller was an unknown when Capitol signed her and foisted her on an
        > unsuspecting public. You can't say the same about Hung; he's
        > omnipresent right now, and scarily enough, giving a quick look at
        > the scheduled album releases for next Tuesday, he could score a Top
        > 10 debut with this sucker.
        >
        > So anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there and let you all have
        > at it. I'm inclined to say that he is, in fact, an outsider,
        > primarily because of his seeming lack of self-awareness. I honestly
        > believe Hung thinks he's an OK singer with a winning personality,
        > and that he is aware enough to know that it's his personality (and
        > not his singing) that has struck a chord with the American public,
        > but that he is (even still) blissfully unaware of just how
        > horrendous a singer he is.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Tim Conklin
        > Columbia, SC
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Carl Howard
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
          Outsider music is not a publicity stunt, and that's clearly what William
          Hung was doing.
          If you want genuine, stick with Wing. She's the genuine article. She'll
          never have her 15 minutes, even with a recent smear job by Michael Musto,
          but she's a s sweet a woman as you'd ever hope to communicate with.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
            If you saw his initial appearance on AI, he said, (I paraphrase
            here), that "I have no experience or training in singing. You may ask
            why a computer programmer is auditioning for 'American Idol'. I'm
            doing it on a lark". I say more power to him! Rake in all the cash
            while the American pop culture machine throws it at you. Of course he
            won't be making the most money garbered by his fame, but as long as
            he stays as humble as he initially appeared, I wish him luck. As for
            being an outsider; I don't think he qualifies because he realizes he
            is bad and he appears smart enough to know that this is just a thrill
            ride with no illusions of grandeur.

            Nr. Njorl
            (my daughter made me watch)

            --- In outsidermusic@yahoogroups.com, "tconklin69" <tconklin69@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hey all,
            >
            > I'm curious to get impressions from those of you in this group as
            > whether or not you think American Idol reject William Hung
            qualifies
            > as an outsider, if for nothing else than to stir up some
            > constructive debate.
            >
            > On the one hand, Hung seems to qualify in that he comes across as
            > being genuinely clueless that he is devoid of talent and that all
            of
            > this public attention (and the subsequent recording contract) has
            > nothing to do with his singing ability. On the other hand, he comes
            > to us from American Idol, and the whole thing smacks of get-rich-
            > quick exploitation.
            >
            > I was trying to think of a parallel to Hung in the outsider ranks,
            > and the closest thing I can come up with is Mrs. Miller, but Mrs.
            > Miller was an unknown when Capitol signed her and foisted her on an
            > unsuspecting public. You can't say the same about Hung; he's
            > omnipresent right now, and scarily enough, giving a quick look at
            > the scheduled album releases for next Tuesday, he could score a Top
            > 10 debut with this sucker.
            >
            > So anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there and let you all have
            > at it. I'm inclined to say that he is, in fact, an outsider,
            > primarily because of his seeming lack of self-awareness. I honestly
            > believe Hung thinks he's an OK singer with a winning personality,
            > and that he is aware enough to know that it's his personality (and
            > not his singing) that has struck a chord with the American public,
            > but that he is (even still) blissfully unaware of just how
            > horrendous a singer he is.
            >
            > Thoughts?
            >
            > Tim Conklin
            > Columbia, SC
          • Mike Appelstein
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
              I definitely am enjoying the novelty aspect of William Hung's
              celebrity. It's been a long time since the music world has had time
              for this type of eccentric exploitation project. One can think of
              Hung as the mirror image of Clay Aiken or Kelly Clarkson - he's a
              misfit non-singer who still thinks he has it in him to be a big
              star. He's going for it with all his might, but the results are
              quite different and more original than the intentions. And isn't
              that what makes outsider music what it is? Irwin has always stressed
              that "sincerity" is a must for any true outsider.

              So does that make William Hung's music "outsider music?" I don't
              know. We'll have to see. (The multiple "words of inspiration"
              spoken word segments alone show promise.) I do see a Florence Foster
              Jenkins/Tiny Tim parallel here - Hung is a cheerful guy, clearly
              intelligent (he's an engineering student, is he not?), possibly
              unaware of his own lack of talent, and very much in the public eye at
              present. But unlike Tiny Tim, he doesn't come with a signature
              repertoire; he's just singing what his producers give him. And
              unlike FF Jenkins, he doesn't have rich enablers, unless you count
              the record label. He's having a great time even as he's being made a
              laughing stock.

              I am definitely interested in hearing the album, though I don't
              expect I'll be paying full price. :)

              - Mike

              Also a motivational speaker - look at the track listing, and you'll
              notice several spoken word interludes entitled "William Hung's Words
              of Inspiration."

              wrote:
              > Hey all,
              >
              > I'm curious to get impressions from those of you in this group as
              > whether or not you think American Idol reject William Hung
              qualifies
              > as an outsider, if for nothing else than to stir up some
              > constructive debate.
              >
              > On the one hand, Hung seems to qualify in that he comes across as
              > being genuinely clueless that he is devoid of talent and that all
              of
              > this public attention (and the subsequent recording contract) has
              > nothing to do with his singing ability. On the other hand, he comes
              > to us from American Idol, and the whole thing smacks of get-rich-
              > quick exploitation.
              >
              > I was trying to think of a parallel to Hung in the outsider ranks,
              > and the closest thing I can come up with is Mrs. Miller, but Mrs.
              > Miller was an unknown when Capitol signed her and foisted her on an
              > unsuspecting public. You can't say the same about Hung; he's
              > omnipresent right now, and scarily enough, giving a quick look at
              > the scheduled album releases for next Tuesday, he could score a Top
              > 10 debut with this sucker.
              >
              > So anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there and let you all have
              > at it. I'm inclined to say that he is, in fact, an outsider,
              > primarily because of his seeming lack of self-awareness. I honestly
              > believe Hung thinks he's an OK singer with a winning personality,
              > and that he is aware enough to know that it's his personality (and
              > not his singing) that has struck a chord with the American public,
              > but that he is (even still) blissfully unaware of just how
              > horrendous a singer he is.
              >
              > Thoughts?
              >
              > Tim Conklin
              > Columbia, SC
            • David Sarich
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                being a GIGANTIC mrs. miller fan i see no comparison ...

                she had a true love of what she did ... was absolutely genuine about it ...
                and was a misdirected, unleashed talent. william hung? he's a blip ...
                and does totally smack of the get-rich quick idol-ology!

                just my 2 cents

                David A. Sarich
                www.maddashfilms.com

                i stole it off a spaceship.

              • stiffsyn
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
                  > he is aware enough to know that it's his personality (and
                  > not his singing) that has struck a chord with the American public,
                  > but that he is (even still) blissfully unaware of just how
                  > horrendous a singer he is.

                  I actually don't think he's *that* bad of a singer! He doesn't have much of a voice, but at least he sings basically in tune, and there are a hundred indie rock bands he could probably front if he were a good guitar player.

                  Actually, I remember hearing a mash-up of his rendition of "She Bangs" and the original, and being surprised that -- unless there was some pitch-shifting of the Ricky Martin version going on -- he was singing it in the right key. It'd be a very funny irony if Mr. Hung had perfect pitch...
                • Carl Howard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                    Thank you, thank you... that's how I feel about it.